Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the Khilafah aided the Irish during the famine of 1845

Options
  • 23-08-2009 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

In 1845, the onset of the Great Irish Famine resulted in over a million deaths. Ottoman Sultan Khaleefah Abdul-Majid I declared his intention to send 10,000 sterling to Irish farmers but Queen Victoria requested that the Sultan send only 1,000 sterling, because she had sent only 2,000 sterling herself. The Sultan sent the 1,000 sterling but also secretly sent 3 ships full of food. The English courts tried to block the ships, but the food arrived in Drogheda harbor and was left there by Ottoman Sailors. Due to this the Irish people, especially those in Drogheda, are friendly to the Turks.

http://www.khilafah.com/index.php/the-khilafah/non-muslims/1586-how-the-khilafah-aided-the-irish-during-the-famine-of-1845

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Wasn't this also supposed to be the reason why Drogheda had the star and crescent badge?

Was this not supposed to have been a bit of an exageration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I believe Portsmouth has the same badge.
    Both Portsmouth and Drogheda received their royal charters around the same time.

Well realy there are quite a few theories around where Drogheda got their badge from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

The Oglala Sioux sent 100 pounds at a time when they were in great want. Considering the role of people like Philip Sheridan of Virginia as indian fighters one could say that we have a great debt of honour to the Sioux that should now be paid.

Contributions like those of the Oglala and the Turkish Sultan show how widespread knowledge of the famine was and lend credence to the claim that the blight was natural but the famine contrived.

mikemac wrote: »
    I believe Portsmouth has the same badge.
    Both Portsmouth and Drogheda received their royal charters around the same time.

Well realy there are quite a few theories around where Drogheda got their badge from

Read my Sig!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

I thought Victoria gave £5,000 (but maybe she gave 2 at first and 3 later?)

• Advertisement

994 wrote: »
    I thought Victoria gave £5,000 (but maybe she gave 2 at first and 3 later?)
    She also headed up a famine relief charity and in an attempt to help the poor of ireland founded three universities, cork, galway and belfast. To appease the anti catholics the teaching of theology in these universities was banned, but they did not exclude Catholics. However, because religious instruction was not allowed Pope Pius deemed them godless and the cardinal of Ireland banned Catholics from attending.

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Letter_of_Queen_Victoria

Despite modern opinions, you can understand why Queen Victoria was actually quite popular in Ireland. If you read her correspondence written around the time, she was very much in favour of Catholic emancipation and loved Ireland and the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

She also headed up a famine relief charity and in an attempt to help the poor of ireland founded three universities, cork, galway and belfast. To appease the anti catholics the teaching of theology in these universities was banned, but they did not exclude Catholics. However, because religious instruction was not allowed Pope Pius deemed them godless and the cardinal of Ireland banned Catholics from attending.

You are conflating a number of issues here which are not directly related. The idea of Famine "relief" being placed in the hands of charities was highly contentious amongst the Irish at the time - however heroic many of these efforts were. Work Houses were the worst sort of relief but nevertheless played a role. The Laissez Faire economics of the time - the Manchester School so called - were directing the British Treasury and did not favour Government interference in the economy and wanted to rely on Charity and "market forces" to bring relief to the starving millions. At the height of the Famine in 1847 all Government aid stopped. The ultimate result for the Irish was a disaster.

The question of the Queens Colleges - these are the Universities you refer to - was an ongoing issue both before and after the Famine and was a highly antagonistic one for the growing power of the Catholic Church which wanted to establish Catholic Universities with Government assistance. The Queens Colleges at Cork, Galway and Belfast were established prior to the Famine in 1845 and Queens University of Ireland in 1850 but the Catholic Church [read Cardinal Paul Cullen] forbade its members from attendance.

Eventually the Catholic Church and the British Government came to agreeable terms and Catholic Universities were established. Speed ahead and in the 1880s the Catholic Church is very much against Home Rule because it might disrupt its cozy alliance with the British Government and the control that Westminster had handed them over education. Parnell looked like trouble to Rome and the Irish bishops.
    Despite modern opinions, you can unders tand why Queen Victoria was actually quite popular in Ireland. If you read her correspondence written around the time, she was very much in favour of Catholic emancipation and loved Ireland and the Irish.

Victoria was under the impression that she was popular in Ireland - her diaries show this but she did not really understand the Irish at all and was against all ideas of separation. [Catholic Emancipation had long been resolved before her time.] Her personal diary also shows that in 1886 she was finally told the truth by Lord Carnarvon, Viceroy of Ireland that "there is no loyalty to the Queen" in Ireland and that "there is a determination to arrange their own affairs". She seems shocked at this revelation.

I do have to add that her diaries reveal an intelligent woman, a little emotional at times, but one who had a steady mind when to came to what was best for the Empire - but not concerned for the individual rights of nations within that Empire. She was a woman of her time.

Please excuse my Conflation :D

Interesting post, a lot of what i said was based on this article, I may invest in this book. i find the Victorians fascinating.

http://www.corkuniversitypress.com/Abject_Loyalty:_Nationalism_&_Monarchy_in_the_Reign_of_Queen_Victoria/4/

Advertisement