Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Fifth Year?

Options
  • 23-08-2009 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

i hav the oppertunity to repeat fifth year, it would be helpfull as i had a really bad go of it the first time, am i better off going ahead int sixth and repeating that or fifth???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

repeat fifth, the majority of work is done in 5th year, 6th is just the end of courses and revision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

I repeated 5th year myself!It was honestly a complete waste of time that I regret doing all the time.I would proberly repeat the leaving next year only i'll be 2 weeks from being 20 when I sit the leaving!:oSo im moving on now to do a course this year in my local I.T.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

I'd wait till next year before you repeat. But thats just me, it all depends on how much of the stuff you did in 5th year you know, sometimes you know more than you feel you know.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

In fairness, few work hard in 5th, most just do thier homework and that. Just work hard in 6th from the start:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cGirl

Unless you missed a lot of days and work in 5th year, you should be fine going into 6th year once you work from the start. As someone already said, most people don't put any real effort into 5th year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

I wouldn't bother. 6th year is when your results are really made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

5th year you learn the basics, 6th you pile on all that incredible A1 standard detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I was extremely lazy last year i only did about 70% of my hw and no study

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I really thing you need to talk to your parents/guidance councillor about this because it's a pretty big decision:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'd be inclined to give 6th year a go, and repeat then if you're not too happy. I imagine that doing 6th year twice (especially going through the mocks+exams twice), would be more beneficial than repeating 5th year. My 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I know a lad who did 5th year 3 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Doing and/or repeating 6th year is the logical choice.

I myself managed the 6th year curriculum in a single year. Had to take a year off between 5th and 6th for personal reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Depp wrote: »
    I was extremely lazy last year i only did about 70% of my hw and no study

Chill. NO-ONE studies in Fifth Year. Most don't study very much in their LC year either... Seriously...

I did very little homework in Fifth Year and no study... I really worked hard in my LC year though, and got 600 points, so there's no reason to worry:D

If you apply yourself, you'll get a huge amount of work done in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

i repeated 5th year and would recommend it IF you are missing the basics of a subject(s)

for me i was failing honours maths terrible after missing alot of classes due to football and illness(i need it for my course and i knew i could do it),my (o) irish was non exisitant, never devoleped any intrest in english, and generally things wernt looking good

i repeated,and loved it..(went on the school tour again aswel:P)
    got a B3 in the math
    injoyed english since(except keats,i hate keats)
    got a c3 in irish dispite irish never really improved
    and got 470 ,which was going to be impossible if i hadnt repeated 5th year
    it wasnt that i studied in 5th year(or until about april 2009) ,i just stayed on top of things,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I know a lad who did 5th year 3 times.
    what a legend, van wilder much?

im goin straight to sixth, thanks for all your help

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

mink_man wrote: »
    repeat!
    Try backing up your opinion with some attempt at a reasonable argument; I'm getting really tired of your one word posts of "repeat" or "no" or whatever!

They seldom add anything useful to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

im just after repeating 5th year, really glad i did.. i went from doing 2/3 honours in my first year of 5th, to now doing 6..

but i think it worked for me because i moved school when i stayed back and i knew no one, so there was less distractions (not that im a loner) , plus i stayed back because i moved to a (much) better school..

its up to yourself really, only you know if you'l work at it the second time

Advertisement