Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol Free Beer

Options
  • 23-08-2009 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I had a few Erdinger alcohol free beers last night and I still feel like I have a massive hangover. Been recked all day.

Are my algeric to it or something? Has anyone else had this experience with Erdinger alcohol free?

Note: I do tend to get hangovers very easily and would usuallly try to only have 3 - 4 pints. I had two bottles of Erdinger alcohol free last night and nothing else.

Advice appreciated...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gav240

i've heard of lightweights but this is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I drank the non-alcoholic Erdingers when I was on heavy anti-biotics before and couldn't drink alcohol, never had the same effect on me though! They have around .3 or .4% ABV but that's it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

why would you drink a non alcoholic beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sir Molle wrote: »
    The same reason people drink any other soft drinks.

Why do you think they do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I tried a good few Alcohol free beers recently including the more common Becks and Erdinger. I found them all to have a slightly soapy after taste.

I drink beer for the taste, not to get drunk. Its a pity there isn't a 0% Beer that actually tastes like beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Note: I do tend to get hangovers very easily and would usuallly try to only have 3 - 4 pints.

Don't want to sound preachy, but that in itself is well over 6 units of alcohol, which is classed as binge drinking. (I only say this because last week, i had 4 pints of a thursday, a kidney infection on the saturday, and the doc got all uppity about it!)

It could be a reaction to the yeast, which would explain why you get hangovers. Do you normally drink enough water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Don't want to sound preachy, but that in itself is well over 6 units of alcohol, which is classed as binge drinking. (I only say this because last week, i had 4 pints of a thursday, a kidney infection on the saturday, and the doc got all uppity about it!)

It could be a reaction to the yeast, which would explain why you get hangovers. Do you normally drink enough water?

3 or 4 pints is binge drinking !!! :rolleyes:

You're joking right.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

A pointless endeavour if ever there was one!

OP, maybe go to a doctor, ya might be allergic to wheat or yeast or somethin, or maybe it was a sort of "placebo hangover"?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Maybe he had to drive maybe he was on anti-biotics maybe he doesn't think the world revolves around getting blathered every weekend or maybe he is not IRISH so doesn't see the stigma:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Most non-alcoholic drinks are brewed as normal beers then the alcohol is removed from them, hence most of them haveing 0.4% or less. The hangover you suffered could be leftovers from the de-alcoholing.

Schneiderweiss or Paulaner N/A might suit you better, it's worth a shot :) I remember hearign awhile ago that there was a N/A beer brewed just for N/A purposes, it had even lower alcohol content and was supposed to taste fairly good, no idea which one it was though!

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »

You're joking right.
    I have often seen 4 quoted as the figure for binge drinking.
    coyle wrote: »
    A pointless endeavour if ever there was one!
    Do you ever drink coke/softdrinks without spirits? is that pointless?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Try Kaliber from Guinness its low/alchohol free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

You're joking right.

4 pints is 8 units, which is over the advised units.

Not that i'd class that be much, myself.

OP, do you find yourself sluggish after eating bread?

It may be a yeast intolerance. However, i'm not a doctor.

4 pints is 8 units, which is over the advised units.
    Australia, Austria, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Poland, Spain[9][8][10],: A standard drink is 10g / 12.7 millilitres of alcohol. So in these countries, a standard drink is 30ml of straight spirits, a 330ml can of beer, or a 100ml glass of table wine. To calculate standard drinks, use the following formula: Volume of container (litres) x % alcohol by volume (mL/100mL) x 0.789 = The number of standard drinks

So for a pint to be 2 units it must have 25.2ml of alcohol so be ~4.4%, which is about average, but some imported stuff is stronger.

Just on the point of why someone would drink these... As I mentioned I was on antibiotics for a couple of weeks and was out for a night out so I'd the option of drinking coke/lucozade which are extremely sugary and gone within a few gulps or a pint bottle of beer which will last awhile and tastes pretty decent (erdinger one that is). Even if weren't on meds but wanted an alcohol free night, the above would apply. For me anyways when I'm out, I like to have a drink with me most of the time, habit I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Is there a non-alcoholic stout?

BTW, I think the Erdinger one tastes pretty good. Becks ain't bad either. No worse than your typical beer anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Is there a non-alcoholic stout?
    Guinness Malta: you'll get it in the African supermarkets.

Jev/N wrote: »
    As I mentioned I was on antibiotics for a couple of weeks
    The "you can't drink on antibiotics" myth is one of my favourites of all time. The origins are great, when first introduced they were mainly used for sexually transmitted diseases, and sailors on leave visiting prostitutes were spreading disease like wildfire. So the doctors of the day told a white lie and told them not to drink while on them, not anything to do with the action of the drug, but to stop their drunken debauchery leading to the spread of their disease. So if your doctor told you to stay off the drink while on them then he probably thinks you are a drunken whore-monger ;)

If a doctor wants you not to drink on medication they will tell you. Of course if you make the fatal mistake of asking a doctor "so can I drink?" of course they will say no! or to take it easy (remember 4 pints is binge drinking, no way a doctor will advise that this is ok!). If you had athletes foot and asked a doctor if you can drink they would say no!

The other myth surrounding it is that you will get unusually pissed on antibiotics, but this is since most people on antibiotics are sick, and therefore likely to be eating far less than usual, so if you drink on an empty stomach you get more pissed.

Now drinking to extreme amounts will hit your immune system a bit, and the alcohol is said to have some very minor effect on the antibiotics, but nowhere near the degree it is made out.
    This question infers that you do not like the taste of beer, so the same question could be asked, "why do you drink an alcoholic beer, if you don't like the taste, plenty of other drinks out there".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You're joking right.

Unfortunately we're not joking. The fun police think that having 2 half litre bottles of 5% beer is binge drinking.
    It's a mockery of an idea and does nothing to help reduce alcohol abuse.
    I'd be reasonably confident of being under the blood alcohol driving driving after such a binge with a fair wind, not that i would, but it shows the stupidity of such a low limit.

I had a bottle of Paulaner N/A last night. It was very fizzy, hard to actually taste it properly. It wasn't bad as such, more anonymous.
    Erdinger N/A is very sweet I think,
    Becks is ok, CObra is Ok
    but the best L/A beer I've had is Sainsbury's own brand. got it in beside IKEA in Co. Down, and in Sprucefield once and the last time I went they didn't have it and didn't know it even existed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I tried a good few Alcohol free beers recently including the more common Becks and Erdinger. I found them all to have a slightly soapy after taste.

I drink beer for the taste, not to get drunk. Its a pity there isn't a 0% Beer that actually tastes like beer.

indeed, i too noticed the soapiness.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    The "you can't drink on antibiotics" myth is one of my favourites of all time. The origins are great, when first introduced they were mainly used for sexually transmitted diseases, and sailors on leave visiting prostitutes were spreading disease like wildfire. So the doctors of the day told a white lie and told them not to drink while on them, not anything to do with the action of the drug, but to stop their drunken debauchery leading to the spread of their disease. So if your doctor told you to stay off the drink while on them then he probably thinks you are a drunken whore-monger ;)

If a doctor wants you not to drink on medication they will tell you. Of course if you make the fatal mistake of asking a doctor "so can I drink?" of course they will say no! or to take it easy (remember 4 pints is binge drinking, no way a doctor will advise that this is ok!). If you had athletes foot and asked a doctor if you can drink they would say no!

The other myth surrounding it is that you will get unusually pissed on antibiotics, but this is since most people on antibiotics are sick, and therefore likely to be eating far less than usual, so if you drink on an empty stomach you get more pissed.

Now drinking to extreme amounts will hit your immune system a bit, and the alcohol is said to have some very minor effect on the antibiotics, but nowhere near the degree it is made out.

This question infers that you do not like the taste of beer, so the same question could be asked, "why do you drink an alcoholic beer, if you don't like the taste, plenty of other drinks out there".

Just to follow up on the above statement, I wasn't taking your run of the mill augmentin which I have taken before and drank alcohol with without any side effects whatsoever, expect maybe lessening the effectiveness of the drug.

I was on different, stronger antibio which I hadn't been on before and some reports had suggested alcohol could increase/enhance side-effects of it such as vomiting. Anyway, I was just being cautious rather than following an old wives tale as you suggested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

How do you know all this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

OP, if you're feeling unwell as a result of non-alcoholic beer then stop drinking it. Go and consult a GP if you're concerned.

This is as far as this thread is going.

The "you can't drink on antibiotics" myth is one of my favourites of all time. The origins are great, when first introduced they were mainly used for sexually transmitted diseases, and sailors on leave visiting prostitutes were spreading disease like wildfire. So the doctors of the day told a white lie and told them not to drink while on them, not anything to do with the action of the drug, but to stop their drunken debauchery leading to the spread of their disease. So if your doctor told you to stay off the drink while on them then he probably thinks you are a drunken whore-monger

I don't care about your opinion or your source(s) on this. I am not permitting the discussion of alcohol consumption while on prescribed medication/antibiotics. It's not even close to what this forum is about.

Take it to Bio & Med if they'll permit it but don't bring it up here again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement