Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Love

Options
  • 23-08-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering do people believe in true love...in a relationship at the minute and although am happy there are things that are not there that I think should be...ie telling me Im pretty....holding hands...kissing in public...romantic gestures.....have I been caught up in the novalty of being in love when in fact the reality is that this kind of relationship does not exist??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭puglover

I think it does but it all depends on your idea of true love.

I think hollywood has given a lot of people unrealistic expectations. Romantic gestures are all well and good but imho they don't really represent true love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Just wondering do people believe in true love...in a relationship at the minute and although am happy there are things that are not there that I think should be...ie telling me Im pretty....holding hands...kissing in public...romantic gestures.....have I been caught up in the novalty of being in love when in fact the reality is that this kind of relationship does not exist??

When I'm with someone, I do all of these things and I do them regularly. My last gf always appreciated this stuff but never reciprocated (except the hand-holding part). Then she lined up a new chump and dropped me hard. If your OH isn't doing things like this, he's either a) Not that interested in you, or b) not interested in that kind of portrayal of his feelings. Your job is to find out which one it is and act accordingly cos if it's b then you just gotta deal (or perhaps come to a compromise of sorts), but if it's a, you gotta get out before you get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

It's different for everyone. Lots of people get over enthusiastic with compliments and shower their OH with gifts, especially near the start. I think it's called "love sickness". If someone says they love you, they probably mean it. When you are in love you know it. That romantic hollywood stuff is not necessarily part of it.

I hardly think holding someone's hand or telling your OH that they're pretty is classifiable as "romantic hollywood stuff"..... The OP is talking about very simple, very basic relationship gestures that aren't being fulfilled. How're you supposed to believe you are loved when the person won't so much as hold your hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭puglover

I hardly think holding someone's hand or telling your OH that they're pretty is classifiable as "romantic hollywood stuff"..... The OP is talking about very simple, very basic relationship gestures that aren't being fulfilled. How're you supposed to believe you are loved when the person won't so much as hold your hand?

Perhaps he does other things to show he cares, brings her toast in the mornings, checks her car for oil, makes her lemsips when she is sick. Some people just aren't into the mushy love stuff

• Advertisement

puglover wrote: »
    Perhaps he does other things to show he cares, brings her toast in the mornings, checks her car for oil, makes her lemsips when she is sick. Some people just aren't into the mushy love stuff

Point taken and agreed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Andreahalley

I believe in true love. If you want to receive some romantic gestures from your partner, why don't you start first, like kissing him in public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭VaioCruiser

Yes there is such a thing as true love. But it is very difficult to recognise when it arrives and most people don't know it for a long time afterward. Infatuation, lust etc are very easily confused with true love.

True love is unconditional, it is not dependent on the other person reciprocating or behaving as we want them to.

However everyone expresses their love in different ways. Men and women express love in very different ways.

All the best

Advertisement