Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA ??

Options
  • 23-08-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

So I see it posted about here on the forums, and I'd consider myself fairly knowledgeable with regards to PC games etc

But I've never come accross DotA, (Defense of the Ancients)

So what is it ?...a lot of ppl on here seem to love it.

I seen someone posting Warcraft3 : DotA, ...which I can only assume is a custom gametype...i may have tried it years ago.

But can anyone give a nice rundown for myself and others who are unfamiliar with the concept of DotA, and whats the best game to play this with ? or is there an official game for it ? where did it originate ? whats the best number of people to have playing so I know how many of my clannies i have to pester ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

had a big reply written out but then closed the browser :/
    ill post tomorrow or some such

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

there was a good few of us playing at midlans over the weekend. were you at it sean??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

it is probably the most re-playable game i 've ever seen really :D gaming balance(well,still twisting it all the time and you can find that all dota communities debate about the balancing issues all the time) and countless strategy you can apply during game.a great game in short :)

ohyes,most importantly,it only takes about 45mins to have 1 game,so it is highly suitable for us 'busy' people:o

and for the originality etc questions,all you need to know is the dude who is releasing newer version of it is not really its creator,i think is ok to call him the 3rd person who contribute the game (and is the one who make it a fully competitive custom map and the most renowned custom game ever!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Unfortunately No Cherry, I wasn't able to attend as personal circumstances arose..that well..I'm not gonna discuss here.
    But I was quite looking forward to it and was sad to miss it :(

I have WC3...and was a big fan of it and online, Ill have to try get a few of my lads into DotA if only to give it a go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

There are 2 new versions of DOTA coming out soon both free to play and no need for warcraft 3. one version by riot games and goa.com called League of Legends (pendragon) this version is in beta. The other is Heroes of newerth by S2 Games and you can still get a beta key here.

HON is identical to DOTA but improved in many ways graphics being the main one. Personally I prefer LOL because it is more indepth.

Anyway check them out, they're both awesome and I now prefer them to DOTA, enjoy the beta keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

im a feeder :D didnt know what the hell i was doing and took five mins to find the type key... enter! all the way over there ---->

Got HoN...and as fitzy says...I am also a 'feeder' !!! :P

Never heard the term in my life...any ive been gaming online for years.
    I asked what it was..and apparantely I was dying..letting the enemy level up.

They also gave out when I asked what my role was...and then gave out when they realised i hadnt "bought" anything. The next 10 mins were then spent looking at items I could buy..before venturing out and promptly dying.

I bought some stuff..and after 10 mins realise I could upgrade my spells (which I hadnt been using)

By the time I was Lvl10 I was alongside 2 others off my team against 2 enemies and loads of cpu controlled things....I could barely make out what the feck was happening. I whacked my spells out of it...and hoped for the best...I died :P

The learning curve...for one who's never played DotA appears to be huge, also..the menu system..though I know its a beta...is fecked, took me ages trying to get into a game with a mate.

I'll give it a go over the weekend....could really do with tutorials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Got HoN...and as fitzy says...I am also a 'feeder' !!! :P

Never heard the term in my life...any ive been gaming online for years.
    I asked what it was..and apparantely I was dying..letting the enemy level up.

They also gave out when I asked what my role was...and then gave out when they realised i hadnt "bought" anything. The next 10 mins were then spent looking at items I could buy..before venturing out and promptly dying.

I bought some stuff..and after 10 mins realise I could upgrade my spells (which I hadnt been using)

By the time I was Lvl10 I was alongside 2 others off my team against 2 enemies and loads of cpu controlled things....I could barely make out what the feck was happening. I whacked my spells out of it...and hoped for the best...I died :P

The learning curve...for one who's never played DotA appears to be huge, also..the menu system..though I know its a beta...is fecked, took me ages trying to get into a game with a mate.

I'll give it a go over the weekend....could really do with tutorials.

I know how you feel man. It can be quite unforgiving when you dont know what all the characters do or what items to buy. And for the most part teammates arent very helpful towards new players.

Best thing to do is go onto the heroes of newerth forums then go to the hero build section. People post up various builds for each character and general strategies.

I find it a lot better if i just try copying one of the builds (of what skills to choose and what items to buy) then just play the game and try and get some kills and of course not feed as much.

Who came up with the term "feed" ? Its crap

Why not just say 'die' ?.....

It'd be so much easier if people screamed "Seán STOP dying all the time !!" :P

Because my first thought was like in Warcraft3, where if you kill alongside someone elses paladin you gain some of the XP

Yeh the learning curve is tough, LOL is the easiest to pick up. The two most common terms in dota are feeders and leavers (ragequits).

You'll find that you're not always welcome if you're a noob. I've been there too, even as an experienced (probably still far from being experienced) player I have received dogs abuse but must admit I may have snapped at a noob or too aswell.

To be honest I found the HON & LOL communities much friendlier and less core than DOTA and you may have been abused a bit in your HON game but if it was dota they would probably be trying to find where you live as we speak.

Trick is to play practive games before playing live, I was lucky and had good friends learn me the ways until i had it down. Here's some basics you might not find in guides:

- Pick a ranged character if you're a noob, this way you can keep your distance from other champions when killing creeps
    - kill creeps in early levels, not champions
    - NEVER attack a champion beside a turret or you'll be aggro'd
    - Use your minimap, lots of important information here!
    - Try different champions and item builds, one guide is never completely right and may not even suit your style
    - Listen to your teammates and communicate, "bottom lane mia" (enemy player is missing and possibly hunting), if you're going to the well tell your team.
    - last but not least Enjoy!!

Hang in there, the games are fantastic and once mastered you'll love them! Feel free to ask me anything on it.

feeding is a good term. i wouldnt be able to call phil or cal-cfg a walking burger king without it.

if an enemy hero dissappears from your lane call "miss" or "mia".
    if bloodhunter casts his ulti on you STAY STILL AND DONT MOVE
    if you are a noob do not charge in when you are together with the other heroes on your team. wait for someone else to make the move and follow the pack. dont go off gi joe style.
    BUY BOOTS! (marchers)

im really considering writing a full guide for noobs on this game, might do it before next weekend

Yeah do Jazzy,

And write it in noob terms too, no ambigious stuff :P

Also, its still in Beta..so how long has it been at this stage that people have become pr0 at it ?

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Also, its still in Beta..so how long has it been at this stage that people have become pr0 at it ?

It's in beta for a few months now but it is identical to DOTA so if you've played DOTA you have nothing new to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I'd really like to get into League of Legends but it's the community that is putting me off. A community having zero tolerance for new players is very off putting. It takes all the fun of what could be a great game. It would be great to learn the ropes with a few friendly folk who would have a bit of patience

I'd really like to get into League of Legends but it's the community that is putting me off. A community having zero tolerance for new players is very off putting. It takes all the fun of what could be a great game. It would be great to learn the ropes with a few friendly folk who would have a bit of patience

stfu feeder!

Jazzy wrote: »
    stfu feeder!

I know its intended as funny, but it wasnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Are you sure you mean League of Legends?

The Euro beta isn't out yet, and a community hasn't really taken off yet because of that obviously. There is the US version of course, but I've found them to be quite friendly and helpful toward new players. The game is different enough to force everyone to learn. HoN on the other hand is less noob friendly, but that's because there are practically no changes from DotA, and you are expected to know your sh1t going into it. It's pretty reasonable to expect such as well in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 UntidyIntent

dota fb grp place to chat talk **** about dota and find some peeps to play with.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/198979396976707/198981966976450/?notif_t=group_activity

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm actually frightened to get into DOTA as I know it would end up taking over.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

dota fb grp place to chat talk **** about dota and find some peeps to play with.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/198979396976707/198981966976450/?notif_t=group_activity

Or people could just use the MOBA forum here already.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1600

Advertisement