Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in possession?

Options
  • 23-08-2009 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

We were discussing this last night.
    One of the girls swears she met someone who was possessed only a couple of weeks ago and is in the news now. She says when she was left alone with him that his eyes went all bloodshot and his voice just went all weird, like there was someone else talking out of his mouth. She left crying - our friends back this story up.

What about someone who was basically a good person, who gave their lives to charity and was an all round joy to be around?

Make him commit a few murders and then leave him.

Im not sure, but it makes you think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Did you say that it's in the news? Any links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Not really.Acting can be indictitive of a psychological problem or substance abuse.
    Ones often reads about a famous person being admitted to a rehabilitation clinic to deal with their 'demons'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

Overblood wrote: »
    Did you say that it's in the news? Any links?

I dont really want to say who it was. It doesnt seem fair. But you can probably figure it out from the news over the last week.

I didn't see anything in the news about people being posessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ken_Is_Here

9 tenths of the law, i heard.;)

:mad:If its what i think you're referring to than a premeditating, murdering b*st*rd would love an excuse like that. Perfect alibi when you plan to top yourself and noone can question you on it.:mad:

Sorry if i come across harsh but that story leaves a rotten taste with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

di2772 wrote: »
    What about someone who was basically a good person, who gave their lives to charity and was an all round joy to be around?

Make him commit a few murders and then leave him.

Im not sure, but it makes you think.

Hitler showed kindness to animals.
    Also if you re refering to the case I now think you are referring to,well I think it is neither the time nor the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Jackeenboy

I dont really want to say who it was. It doesnt seem fair. But you can probably figure it out from the news over the last week.
    I think hes on about the stabbing in Bray!?

We'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

We were discussing this last night.
    One of the girls swears she met someone who was possessed only a couple of weeks ago and is in the news now. She says when she was left alone with him that his eyes went all bloodshot and his voice just went all weird, like there was someone else talking out of his mouth.

Possessed by hallucinogenic or psychoactive substances perhaps? Even prescription drugs can alter somebody's personality dramatically, eg steroids and some antidepressants have incredible side-effects and can make the problem they're supposed to solve WORSE. I've seen it in people close to me.

What happened in Bray was tragic for all concerned, may those affected rest in peace, and my condolences to their families and friends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

In short, yes. But not by the hollywood definition of possession.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes but it's rare and never manifests in the way most people think it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Thaedydal wrote: »

How does the way it really manifest differ from the way most people think it does (Linda Blair 360 degree head rotations, green goo spewed out of the mouth, disembodied voice, etc)? Seriously now, I'm curious.

I don't think Ive ever met anyone who I thought was possessed. Some weirdos and psychiatrically unbalanced people alright yeah, but I doubt there was possession by an entity involved in their cases. S'pose it's difficult to identify a genuine case of possession when the criteria by which you'd define possession are all-and-sundry, Hollywood-ised, and/or blurred.

Thaedydal wrote: »

How does it manifest then?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭TechFreak

An interesting statistic is that in cases of dissociative identity disorder in which the altered personality is questioned as to its identity, 29% are reported to identify themselves as demons.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ken_Is_Here

''29% are reported to identify themselves as demons''

Its like pleading insanity.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they make you take a class in demonology before you become a lawyer just to pull this one out when you know the client is guilty.

Claim to be posessed; either they believe you and you get diminished responsibility, or they think your crazy for claiming to be posessed and get diminished responsibility.

Claims of posession in murder cases are just too unbelievable.
    (Then again if i was a demon and knew i could get away with murder....)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭TechFreak

I wouldn't be surprised if they make you take a class in demonology before you become a lawyer just to pull this one out when you know the client is guilty.

Claim to be posessed; either they believe you and you get diminished responsibility, or they think your crazy for claiming to be posessed and get diminished responsibility.

Actually only one percent of the American population are believed to be affected by Dissociative identity disorder. Most typical its link to traumatic events in childhood , generally abuse.Thats why over 80 % of the people acutally diagnoised with dissociative identity disorder have been diagnosed as suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder also.

If you look at any case studies involving murder cases involving dissociatve indentity disorder they generally focus on any abuse that may have happend in a traumatic childhood. Ive yet to read a study saying , he's crazy a demon.

Poor Demons. Cant even get anyone to0 believe them if they tell them the truth of what they are :)

Advertisement