Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare office,Balbriggan

Options
  • 23-08-2009 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Sorry if it has been mentioned before but does anyone know when or if Balbriggan will be getting a new social welfare office? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭sashasdad

apparently the opw are still trying to source a suitable building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I still cant belive they had to close the building because the women running it retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

There's a real shortage of office space in Balbriggan too which is suitable!!!

No signing on for 9 months and they wonder how the system is being scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lyda

sashasdad wrote: »
    apparently the opw are still trying to source a suitable building.

Uh... why? There's office space galore in Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

there is also the issue that SW offices run in a similar manner to post offices in that many of them (usually the smaller ones) are a franchise (for want of a better word) of sorts, so not only is office space req but they need to secure someone to take on the business!

They did have 'office space' on the main street, but decided against it as given the increase in SW recipients, they were afraid people would end up queuing out the door onto the main street (like they have to in the post office!) and this is not ideal. I have heard that they are in a bit of a quandry as to what size premises to aquire - big enough to deal with current unemployment rates but which may be too big a few years down the line....or a smaller office which will not be adequate for current levels. Also the bigger the office/overheads etc the harder it will be to find someone to run the office and apparently the SW would prefer if it were run as the last one was - as a 'franchise'

ah decisions decisions and in the mean time people have to trek half a day to get to Coolock!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭sashasdad

the office was closed when mrs white retired as she owns the building/lease

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DeclanD54

Hi lads, anyone know if balbriggan got a new sign on office because i got a yellow slip in the door, first one in months and not sure if i go to coolock or were???

• Registered Users Posts: 17 irishlassie21

DeclanD54 wrote: »
    Hi lads, anyone know if balbriggan got a new sign on office because i got a yellow slip in the door, first one in months and not sure if i go to coolock or were???

I got a yellow slip a couple of months back so i rang the coolock office to ask them had I to go to them to sign because the Balbriggan office was still not open and she told me that it had been a mistake that i was sent it,so I reckon the same happened to you but just ring them and make sure.

Ye same here, but last time i got a letter aswell saying go to coolock and sign on. When i got there i was told to go back home..

Just want to make sure, dont wanna get cut off.

Cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I'd double check that because I have heard rumours that a new office is to open soon........

• Advertisement

Supposed to be opening end of March/beginning of April.

Location is Mill Street.
    Posted on 13/01/10 by Darragh O’Brien

Local Fianna Fáil TD, Darragh O’Brien has confirmed that a new social welfare office to serve welfare recipients in Balbriggan town and the surrounding areas will be opened at the end of March 2010.
    Speaking today, Deputy O’Brien, who has campaigned for a suitable premises, said “I am delighted that a new office has been sanctioned by the Department of Social and Family Affairs.

“The office, acquired by the Office of Public Works (OPW) on behalf of the Department, is located at 18 Mill Street, Balbriggan.

“I have been informed by Department officials that work is currently underway on the premises which will open at the end of March.

“As well as dealing with all areas of social welfare, I understand the facility will also operate a claim taking service, an information service, authorisation of claims and administration and management functions.

“The new office will serve social welfare recipients in Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush and Lusk along with small villages such as Oldtown, Garristown, Ballyboughill and the Naul.

“I will be following this matter closely to ensure that the office will be ready on schedule,” added Deputy O’Brien.

Its silly i have tried ringing coolock office all day and no answer, i live in stamullen and have no car, hope it aint a waiste of time goin to coolock in the morn when balbriggan's office might be open

March 2010 deadline was missed due to the builder who won the tender going bust.

Crazy that it won't be able to facilitate signing on though.
    Sargent told of new Social Welfare office for Balbriggan
    29 April 2010

Trevor Sargent has been told that a new Social Welfare office with 18 staff, providing a full service for the area, will open in July 2010, during a debate in the Dáil with Minister Ó Cuív. The Minister added that he looks forward to officially opening the new premises in Balbriggan himself.

Local TD Trevor Sargent was granted leave to raise an urgent matter in the Dáil this week to press his government colleague Minister for Social Protection, Éamon Ó Cuív T.D., on the urgent need to open a full service Social Welfare office in Balbriggan which has approximately 5,700 claimants at present.

Responding to the strong case put forward by the Balbriggan-based Deputy Sargent, Minister Ó Cuív said:

“The Office of Public Works has recently acquired temporary premises in Balbriggan. The new permanent office will be a Social Welfare Local Office, operated by the Department and staffed by civil servants. The address of the new office is 18 Mill Street, Balbriggan. Staff and a Local Office Manager are in the process of being assigned to the new office.

“Work started on alterations to the premises on 6 April 2010, and a 10 week period has been allowed for structural work and fitting out. It is expected that the new premises will open at the beginning of July 2010. 18 staff are in the process of being assigned for the new office and the staffing will be kept under review.

“The new office in Balbriggan will provide a full service. New claims for Jobseeker’s Benefit, Jobseeker’s Allowance or One-parent Family Payment will be taken and decided. However the temporary premises is not adequate to also provide for the signing function and there are a number of options for this work being investigated by the Department at present.

“Pending the opening of the office in Balbriggan and in preparation for the move to Balbriggan, staff assigned to the new office have moved to North Cumberland Street Local Office, because there is more room there for both the staff and claimants and there are also better facilities for the training of the new staff. New claims for jobseeker payments will continue to be dealt with in Coolock for the moment and the review of claims and maintenance of claims for Balbriggan will also be dealt with there for the present.

“Once the new premises is available for occupation it will start service to Balbriggan customers.”

On hearing of the new Minister’s interest and commitment to Balbriggan, Deputy Sargent said, “I thank the Minister for stating that the new office in Balbriggan, which is to serve the north Fingal area, will be providing a full service. Given that the Minister’s grandmother, Sinead De Valera (née Flanagan) came from Balbriggan, I hope he will be visiting the town for the official opening of the new facilities.” On hearing Deputy Sargent’s comment, Minister Ó Cuív said he looked forward to the opening.

http://trevorsargent.ie/2010/04/29/balbriggan-to-get-new-social-welfare-office/

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

Heard it was to open in May or June.. that's what the local CWO told me! That's pretty soon.. Let's hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭flames

I was informed yesterday over the phone by a member of staff in North Cumberland Street Social Welfare Office that there is no Social Welfare Office opening in Balbriigan, so as usual the politicians are just saying what you want to hear.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

flames wrote: »
    I was informed yesterday over the phone by a member of staff in North Cumberland Street Social Welfare Office that there is no Social Welfare Office opening in Balbriigan, so as usual the politicians are just saying what you want to hear.
    And what makes you think "a (n unnamed) member of staff" knows anything more about this than you or me (or the likes of Trevor Sargent)?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭flames

And what makes you think "a (n unnamed) member of staff" knows anything more about this than you or me (or the likes of Trevor Sargent)?

Because thats where the new staff for balbriggan are meant to be getting trained, i was ringing up inquiring on behalf on someone from the balbriggan area and i was also on to the public appointments commission as to getting a transfer to the balbriggan office when it opens and they know nothing about it

flames wrote: »
    They are cunning alright, they have even employed builders to fit out the premises and have gotten them to turn up each day to carry out work which anyone who wants can see for the last two months. Cunning.

They probably told you that as you don't cut the mustard mate.

The new office will be open by the end of June, middle of July. Unless you want to deny that the work being carried out isn't actually happening or hasn't happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks for the info, but please be civil. HB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Iv been to Coolock and signed a holiday entitlement form that allows me to leave the country and miss picking up my jobseekers allowance without actually losing my claim.
    Can someone tell me where I go once Iv returned to Ireland? Coolock? or is there finally an office in Balbriggan?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Social Welfare Local Office will open on Monday the 19th at:

18 Mill Street, Balbriggan
    Opening Hours 9:30 (Thursday 10:30) to 16:00

Map and details of areas covered here

The temporary service that has operated from Coolock for people in these areas will now cease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Great news!

Thanks Beasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Brilliant news. All we need now is to get the CWO mess sorted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

would it be too hard for the civil service to proof read their documents before posting them for the world to see?

"This nearest ... centre" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Never ceases to amaze me what can be found on boards....just spent the last 30 mins searching all the relevant sites to find out was this office actually open and where it's located.It's not mentioned anywhere but Boards came through yet again! Thanks Beasty!:D

Advertisement