Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home cinema setup

Options
  • 23-08-2009 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am intending on setting up a home cinema system in my house and was looking for ideas on a D.I.Y system. i would like to be able to play music and films from my pc through this system. So tips on suitable cabling and speakers and what, would be very helpfull.
    My thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Budget?

Before I go suggesting a minimum spend of €100/m on cryo power cables...

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

nereid wrote: »
    Budget?

Thinking of the same thing but budget of about 250 max. Sorry bout hijacking btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daisycutter

budget would be 500 max

At both those price points I can do nothing other than advise looking at PowerCity/Harvey Normans/DID etc for Home Cinema in a box.

They are basic, but involve little or no heart ache as they are simply connect and forget.

In my opinion a complete setup for that price is nothing but (very) slightly better audio than what just comes out of the TV speakers.

If you wanted slightly better quality, I'd recommend going with a slightly better amp/speaker set up but going for Stereo as opposed to surround sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

• Advertisement

eddiem74 wrote: »

the cheapest one there is probably better than a HTIB from Currys but a good illustration of what can be achieved with a limited budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

nereid wrote: »

In my opinion a complete setup for that price is nothing but (very) slightly better audio than what just comes out of the TV speakers.

If you wanted slightly better quality, I'd recommend going with a slightly better amp/speaker set up but going for Stereo as opposed to surround sound.

I have one of the out of the box Sony systems. It cost about 500 a couple of years ago. To say it's only slightly better than TV speakers is misleading (in my opinion). The quality is far better and it gives you much more flexibility when it come to setting up your system. At 500 euros you will get yourself a good sounding system.

+1 to neried on the second point.

I tried the marantz equivalent first and thought it sounded like crap, Then I tried the Sony (STR-K870P) and it was far better. It's outdated by todays standards but it still does the trick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dog-man-star

Same question as op but with a higher budget, maybe around €1000 - I popped into Bose in Dundrum today because I like the idea of their small cube speakers but they had no brochures and no real info to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Same question as op but with a higher budget, maybe around €1000 - I popped into Bose in Dundrum today because I like the idea of their small cube speakers but they had no brochures and no real info to offer.
    For €1000 I'd recommend Acoustic Energy Aego T 5.1 and an Onkyo amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LoveHiFi

For a budget setup that won't disappoint on sound try an end of line Onkyo or Denon amp ( I picked up a few onkyo 606s from Richersounds a while back to sort out a few family members who have no clue about this sort of thing and matched up with Tannoy FX5.1 speakers for about £550 in total to deliver plenty of sound for you average Home

• Advertisement
Advertisement