Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing multimedia systems/web engineering?

Options
  • 23-08-2009 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Thinking of doing this course next year,what's it like?i'm very interested in web design and the graphical side of things.. Is it very hard,or basic? Is it a good degree to have etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Stephen90

Hey Claire,

I've been doing this course for two years in IADT and am about to repeat second year.

Honestly, I find the course to be quite hard and not a course you can take too lightly. It does have strong elements of web design and some graphic design in it, but there is also a lot of computer theory (almost computer science), applied mathematics related to animation and quite a large proportion of programming in Java aswell - (which can be a tough one for folks who dont pick up on it too easily... like me!)

That said, thats just a brief description of first year from what I can recall. In second year yes the material gets more difficult but you'll find that a lot of the modules tie in together. eg: You will do a certain number of CA's (small projects) throughout the year in each different module couting towards your end of year result. You'll find that some of the CA's will tie with one another allowing you to maybe get a better grip on what your doing.

Dont take my word for it too much though... I spent the past year missing college and acting the bollix! Your best off calling the college and inquiring or even making an appointment with the School of Creative Technologies office and popping in. They are very approachable and will help you out as much as they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

Thanks,that's great :) just wondering about the maths,i know there's not a requirement of honours maths but is the maths difficult? got an A in pass so i'm not too bad,but i despise it :p And what do you mean,maths in relation to animation? don't mind it being a bit hard,and already interested in programming. Also really glad there's an element of graphic design,I'd do that if I could draw :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 louey85

I'm starting this course now in a couple of weeks. I already have some website experience and a bit in javascript, if you have trouble there's a brilliant book by starchpress.com called Javascript Second Edition. Most programming languages use math, but very simple stuff. Like in Java, you would write code telling it to perform an equation and display the result on a webpage. If you got an A in maths pass though I'd say it'll be no bother to ya! Not sure what the maths is like for animation though I'm really looking forward to starting the course, and I'm sure students who are stronger in certain areas will be able to help others. I might take up some maths tuition if I struggle with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

I'm going into the Second year of this course.

The javascript you will do in year one is very basic. In fact, they wont even teach you any. We were merely told to copy/paste random stuff from the web, plug it into the site and not know how it works.

Although, if you've done some of this work before, and you have a genuine interest in it. I suggest you do your own work along side it and learn javascript.

And to be honest, maths doesn't play a huge role in the programming aspect of the course. Its all logical stuff, solving a problem using programming methods. Similar to maths. However, I got a B in programming and had to repeat the maths exam(Computer Modelling) So that goes to show really.

Advertisement