Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question

Options
  • 22-08-2009 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

is it safe to give a 7 month old retrievr the bone from my t-bone steak

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Is it likely to splinter? if so, then no

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paulbhoy

yeah no worries its a bit sharp so ill just bin. just thought it would a little treat for her.
    what kind of bones are best to get for her lets say from the butcher ???

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

you can get roasted bones in the pet shops for the dog to chew on.

I know where i'm from (navan) you can get knuckle ones for 99cents in equipet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yeah just bones you cook yourself especially thin ish bones are more likely to splinter, and I recall a horrible time when I was about 14 and my friends friends westie got a lump stuck in the roof of her mouth, she was covered in blood (her face n paws) from trying to scrape it out. We got it out in the end, but it's really scared me from giving dogs bones that are even remotely questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

Oh the poor dog, sorry to hear that, I've never had a problem with giving the dog big bones, I know my dad did once with a chicken bone and ever since I won't give any dog one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

raw bones are okay to give to dogs. Just put them in the freezer for a couple of hours first, to kill any bacteria, or pop them in boiling water for a few minutes to do the same job.

Advertisement