Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Rack!!

Options
  • 22-08-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Bought a soft rack few months ago.Have used it once or twice but find i drive very slow and takes ages to get places!!! Have visions of the boards flying off the roof!!:eek:
    Headin on hols soon and thinkin of bringin the boards. But what speed would people recommend to drive? Or are long journeys out of question??
    If it means il be totally stressed out and goin 20mls an hour all the way i think il just rent a board!! Any advice would be Great thanks!;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sul02

The first few times i used the soft rack i was paranoid about the board coming loose too. after a few journeys you will get more confident and drive faster (i personally always obey the speed limits lol). if its a long journey just check it every hour or so.

Tip - If the clasp has a push to release latch then make sure that its pointing to the sky because if its pointing into the board any lift in the board when your driving will release the latch and cause the strap to loosen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

used them a few times too but then it started to rain and the flood gates opened as it all came in through the window.What we do now is just put the back seat down and the passenger seat, put the boards in through the boot and they fit nicely with room for a passenger in the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

i use softracks the whole time and they work a wonder.... aslong as there on right you can go as fast as you want and its very hard to put them on wrongly, always put a safety knot.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

+1 on Neon Glows,

plus just check it regularly... I used Ocean earth racks with a load of longboards and despite probably doubling my fuel consumption (a slight exaggeration I know) it worked no probs...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

i have one i use every now and again, but the problem i have with it is if i go over 95kph the straps vibrate or something and make a god awful noise,how do i stop this sound?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

rothai wrote: »
    i have one i use every now and again, but the problem i have with it is if i go over 95kph the straps vibrate or something and make a god awful noise,how do i stop this sound?

Put a dozen or so twists in the straps lashing down the boards and make sure the ones fixing it to the roof are tight.

I always put a couple of saftey nots in the straps. Mostly use a hard rack and only ever use a soft rack on holidays, we have rented estates with rails though and just pile on the board and strap them down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 stupidbaby

20mph is way too slow. drive away luv

That said, I haven't gone above 70mph with boards on the roof.

have never had an issue with boards getting loose on the roof or anything like that. you'd be surprised how sturdy those soft racks are.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

i used to remember what miles per hour was, what was it again?:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 josie80

Have never had a problem with roof racks in 3 yrs until we packed too many boards on top. The whole roof rack and boards ripped off over Connor Pass in Dingle, thankfully no one was driving behind us at the time.
    Now we keep it at 3 boards, but once they are secure & tight you'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

I used both, and to be honest for peace of mind, I ended up gettin a regular rack attached to my car. If you've no plans on selling your car for the next while and your serious about continuing to surf, its your only man.
    Can cruise at about 120kphr and not a wobble, well lashed down-although I would not like to be seen advocating or driving at high speeds with a board or 2 attached to the roof!
    I never worry about the boards anymore, just myself!

• Advertisement
Advertisement