Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do?

Options
  • 22-08-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I know this isn't a major issue but all the same I would like some opinions. I thought about putting this in the gifts forum but I think my ques relates more to our relationship than the gift itself.

I've just purchased some great premium tickets to a well known motor show that coming to Dublin in a few months for my bf's birthday.

Now I know when I give them to him he'll offer to take me, but I'm wondering would it be more enjoyable for him to take one of his brothers or something as cars are something that they are all into.

I would enjoy it and generally we do try to get involved in each others interests but as it's his birthday I am wondering if it would be slightly selfish of me to accept? should I make it all about him enjoying himself as opposed to us.

Knowing him he would insist that I come, but I was thinking I could just say know and have some night away planned with the girls or something?

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭puglover

I'd say just leave it up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ok I know this isn't a major issue but all the same I would like some opinions. I thought about putting this in the gifts forum but I think my ques relates more to our relationship than the gift itself.

I've just purchased some great premium tickets to a well known motor show that coming to Dublin in a few months for my bf's birthday.

Now I know when I give them to him he'll offer to take me, but I'm wondering would it be more enjoyable for him to take one of his brothers or something as cars are something that they are all into.

I would enjoy it and generally we do try to get involved in each others interests but as it's his birthday I am wondering if it would be slightly selfish of me to accept? should I make it all about him enjoying himself as opposed to us.

Knowing him he would insist that I come, but I was thinking I could just say know and have some night away planned with the girls or something?

are you just tired of being with him and now your looking for somthing new.

"GENERALLY try to get involved in each others interests"
    "some night planned away with the girls"
    hmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Cleopatra12

Well it is nice of him to want to share it with you, but insist that he brings his brother or a friend, if they are so into cars... Tell him you want him to go off and have fun and that you have made arrangements with the girlies to keep you entertained and no to worry that the gift is about him and not your relationship.

If he insists that you go i suggest doing some swotting up prior to it just so he wont feel tormented if it seems like you are asking silly questions (no offence intended but ihope you understand what i am getting at).

BTW, great present choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

hmmmm.

Ah gimme a break..Talk about over analysing!! She's just trying to be nice and considerate! You don't have to love everything your OH does.

Sure just come out and say that you'd like him to bring a friend who'd enjoy it just as much, unless he desperately wants you to go.

hmmmm.

Ok I don't know where this came out of!!

I'm not looking for anything new at all. In fact I know I'd have a great time (but probably not be as knowledgable as my bf on the cars) I spent a lot of money on these tickets, they haven't even gone on general sale to the public yet, but I've seccured the best seats in the house and have access to VIP areas & behind the scenes tours that you don't get with the regular tickets so I think it would be a lot of fun, but I don't want to be selfish as they are for him and I want him to have the best time possible, even if that means without me.

When I say generally try to get involved in each others interests that's exactly what I mean. I go kayaking, cycling and hiking with him and he comes surfing & to the cinema & gigs/concerts wit me. So we get to do the things we enjoy and still get to spend time together.

It's only one night, it's not like I want him to go off globe trotting for a year while I do stuff with my friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Hey,
    My two cents.

I got my girlfriend tickets to a concert down the country, and booked a hotel and stuff...

Now i was going to go with her.
    But I amn't.
    Because I think, feck it I know she will have a better time with her friends.

So when i gave her the tickets i specifically told her to take one of her friends.

I would of had a good time with her, but its not the same!

Like I'm guessing you love your bf and want him to have as good a time as possible?
    Let him go with his mates!

Now on the other hand, if you bought the tickets slightly for yourself and him go with him!

Its a toughie.

But if he does go with a mate, treat yourself to... Like actually do go away with mates or have a girls night in or soemhting to keep you jealousy at bay :pac:

Hey,
    My two cents.

I got my girlfriend tickets to a concert down the country, and booked a hotel and stuff...

Now i was going to go with her.
    But I amn't.
    Because I think, feck it I know she will have a better time with her friends.

So when i gave her the tickets i specifically told her to take one of her friends.

I would of had a good time with her, but its not the same!

Like I'm guessing you love your bf and want him to have as good a time as possible?
    Let him go with his mates!

Now on the other hand, if you bought the tickets slightly for yourself and him go with him!

Its a toughie.

But if he does go with a mate, treat yourself to... Like actually do go away with mates or have a girls night in or soemhting to keep you jealousy at bay

Yeah I'd have no problem with him going with a friend and I wouldn't really be jealous.

The thing is, I know if I say "you go yourself and have a good time", he'll get upset and he'll just take it as I do't like cars and won't make the effort to go along with him.

In the long run he'd have a better time without me but he will want me to go and me not going will cause a bit of upset.

Is the bit of upset worth the better time he would have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

I say ask him what he thinks, tell him what you've told us and let him decide then he wont get offended and think you dont want to go with him but also he will get to think about any of his mates that might really really want to go. Just leave it up to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭puglover

Just ask him, if he's that disappointed at the prospect of you not going, maybe he would prefer to have you there with him.

If he's anything like my bf he'd be happy out teaching me all about the cars

Advertisement