Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Technology

Options
  • 22-08-2009 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi, long time since I've been here, not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Can anyone direct me to an official description of what is required for the practical portion of the leaving cert music exam, particularally music technology.

What I've found so far seems to be contradictory, possibly because some of it is outdated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Shocked and astounded that there is anything to do with Music Technology in the leaving cert. really. About 20 years too late if IMO. It would seem achedemia has decided to jump on the music tech band wagon way way after a career in sound engineering was a viable option. The daily rate for a sound engineer has not gone up in maybe 15 years. If anything it's actually gone down.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Can anyone direct me to an official description of what is required for the practical portion of the leaving cert music exam, particularally music technology.
    This is from the SEC website, and presumably is reasonably up to date, given that it's geared to LC 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Hi, long time since I've been here, not sure if this is the right place to post this.

What I've found so far seems to be contradictory, possibly because some of it is outdated.

I'm one of the few Music students on here (I think) who did Music Tech. for my practical, so if you have any more questions feel free to ask :)

(It's stupidly easy)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I did music technology as well. It was without a doubt the easiest part of my Leaving Cert. 25 points in the bag after maybe a day's practice. You bascially open up your song on a program, replace a few notes with other ones and save the score on a disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭phileeoonskee

Thanks a million that's all really helpful.

How did people do in the LC with technology?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

"You bascially open up your song on a program, replace a few notes with other ones and save the score on a disk."

It's not as simple as that! It also invloves inputting that music in in the first place, the song cannot be opened from a previously saved file, it must be input from scratch.

You then perfom your musical edits and "print" the score.

Music Tech is a large area with many options, many of which a really great such as performing to your own backing track.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭phileeoonskee

So how does that work? Can you use your own sequencers etc. for performance, and is it treated as another performance instrument in its self?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

Hi,
    If you choose to perform to your own backing track then yes you need to demonstrate using a sequencer (basic) to adjust track volumes or pan's etc.
    Steve

Advertisement