Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home network wiring

Options
  • 22-08-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Firstly I apologize in advance if this is a foolish question.
    I'm trying to wire up a couple of the rooms in my house with Cat5e cable. I've bought a 1000ft worth of it. I've also both a few rj45 wall sockets. I have my wireless modem in my sitting room and I want to be able to connect to it in another room on a pc that doesn't have a wireless adapter. I've run a length of cable from near the back of the modem to the other room and near the computer. I wired the each end into 2 rj45 sockets now.

What do I do now? Since the modem is a router, can I just connect a patch cable from that into the socket near that, and the same on the other side? Or do I need something else.. I tried doing that and the socket on the router that i plugged into is now just flashing.. Am I missing something or could it just be a break in the connection somewhere?
    Like i said, sorry if this is a stupid question!
    Thanks

Comments

Advertisement