Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP shihtzu pup

Options
  • 21-08-2009 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

I got a shihtzu 9 weeks old today.Just looking for some advice if possible??

I have a small size "crate" so should i just put a blanket in it when im going to bed ?

What is the best food for the shihtzu??

She seems to have abit of a cough what is the best thing if any to treat??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Did you get her checked by vet yet?
    Would be first stop for me with any animal I get (even if seems healthy), if not go tomorrow. Cough could be anything and in young pup can go down hill fast.
    9 weeks is a bit young for small dog like shihtzu, should be 10-12 weeks before leaving mother. I'd put crate near your bed for first week or so, you can move it out into hall then wherever gradually. As its warn blanket and teddy or something to snuggle up to. You'll prob have to get up at least twice to let her out for a pee, they can't hold it long at that age. make sure not to feed her for couple hours before bed, and bring out and wait for few mins to toilet before bed.
    I feed Royal canin for my dogs, comes in breed specific and puppy and adult. Less waste from other end and works out same as the cheap stuff as you feed less.
    Really the breeder should have given a bag of food that she was on or she'll get upset stomach if you change to quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Ye she was vet checked he said.Hes a BIG shihtzu breeder in ireland.
    He also gave me a small bag of "cheapish" food for her but i want to slowly introduce good puppy food to her over the next few days..

I taught it would be a bad idea to put her in my room tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

BIG breeder doesn't mean good, don't get me wrong he maybe very good. Don't take his word for it, if dog is coughing bring to the vet.
    Where do you want dog to sleep?
    Everyone has different ideas, Mine sleep in hall in crates, older dog has door open as he's over the wrecking the house phase, Pup crate closed. I had both in room for about a week as they both howled they house down when they arrived, first dog cried for 3 weeks before i got a quiet night, second 2 nights.
    I moved crate closer to door and out into hall once the crying stopped.
    Don't give attention to crying, also a piece of clothing of yours(worn) can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Personally I wouldn't keep it in your room unless that's where you want the pup to sleep all it's life, or else it will cry the house down when you move it out. Even though they are small and cute now you need to be firm with them from the beginning so you won't have problems when they are bigger and howling at night is not so cute. I would definitely get that cough checked out, sounds like kennel cough plus the puppy needs it's injections before you can start bringing it out and about.

Advertisement