Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DREAM 12 - The Experiment

Options
  • 21-08-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

I just saw the promo video for DREAM 12 and it looked a bit strange to me so I did some investigation (ie. a quick google search :pac:. Here's the video and then what I found on a website that covers Japanese MMA

http://nightmareofbattle.wordpress.com/2009/08/21/dream-12-experiment/
    DREAM has put up a promo video of DREAM.12 on their YouTube channel and it contains the management discussing the ?experiment? of DREAM.12 that was hinted at last week. It might be a change of the fighting surface.

However, in the video it says: ?not in the UFC?, ?violence?, etc. So could it be the introduction of soccer kicks and stomps in DREAM? But Sasahara said last week that it will be the first of its kind in Japan.

Sakuraba in the video (from the last event) says: ?It?s useless to escape?/?I must not escape?. You can?t escape from a cage?

That link also has some stills from the video with what looks like Strikeforce's six-sided cage

Whatever it is, we'll find out soon enough because fighters will have to be informed if there's a change. It could be a Strikeforce event in Japan soon

I know that some people would hate to see cages in Japan. As much as I do prefer cages for fairness and less stoppages, I wouldn't like to see all DREAM fights in a cage

EDIT: I did a little more investigating and Sportsnavi (major Japanese sports website) quoted Sasahara as saying that it's something that's been done in pro wrestling before but not in MMA. Cages aren't generally used in Japanese pro wrestling at all, so I'm a little lost for ideas now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I thought Dream did allow stomps? Maybe im thinking of sengoku.

They do have a deal with strikeforce in place to share fighters, so something related to that might surely be on the cards.

Nice riddle though there , "done in pro wrestling but not mma." That could be a lot of things :D

Maybe they signed Ken Shamrock and allowed him the use of the Kendo stick in matches :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Tag team matches! :D

Or maybe there gonna let "Cyborg" fight a bloke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Anyone know who the karateka who appears around 0:35 is?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Tag team matches! :D

ZST, a Japanese promotion, has tag team MMA matches regularly

The guy at :35 is Andrews Nakahara. He's a Brazilian karate champion who made his MMA debut last year against Sakuraba. He did a lot better than expected, but he ended up losing by a choke. He's won his two fights since in DREAM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

DREAM FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

New video:

So it looks like it'll be a six-sided cage that they're using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hmmmm interesting, 2 things I picked up during the vid . Ok, 6 sided cage but one bit said white cage but then at the end it said the blazing cage.

Not sure how I feel about Dream adopting the cage, wonder if they will alter the rule set too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Seems interesting. I think its only going to be a once off or just an annual thing.

Advertisement