Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Studies

Options
  • 21-08-2009 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Anyone accept it? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Setanta123

Yup, anyone have any information on the course? not alot about schedules...etc out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

You get schedules (which change around anyway for the first few weeks) etc. on your induction week. You don't get much information in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

Setanta123 wrote: »
    Yup, anyone have any information on the course? not alot about schedules...etc out there...

I contacted the college and got this:
    Classes commence on Monday September 14th 2009 at 10.00 am. However there may be some variation between the disciplines so I suggest that you contact the School of Humanities nearer the date to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

Ive put it down now because I didnt get my course in DCU. Hopefully tomorrow I'll know! This does look good though! Id like to do an erasmus year learning spanish.

I-Shot-Jr wrote: »
    Ive put it down now because I didnt get my course in DCU. Hopefully tomorrow I'll know! This does look good though! Id like to do an erasmus year learning spanish.

For 185 it's really good. Same course in Trinity for over 500.

Spain and Spanish do look the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Signature wrote: »
    For 185 it's really good. Same course in Trinity for over 500.

Spain and Spanish do look the best!

The Spanish lecturers are the nicest :)

Listen you guys I'm seriously ****ting it! I havent had any offers fromt the second round of cao results, whats up with that???

I-Shot-Jr wrote: »
    Listen you guys I'm seriously ****ting it! I havent had any offers fromt the second round of cao results, whats up with that???

Hard luck. :(

The cut off for Round 2 was 170, down from 185 in Round 1.

Signature wrote: »
    Hard luck. :(

The cut off for Round 2 was 170, down from 185 in Round 1.

Actually Im fine!! I just need to wait for the final round for formal acceptance but i was on to ITT so hopefully ill see everyone there on the first day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cmck

its proving harder than i thought!! i dont really like the timetabl either... 3 hour lectures and like 3 hour breaks.....
    so good to be home for the weekend :D

• Advertisement

cmck wrote: »
    its proving harder than i thought!! i dont really like the timetabl either... 3 hour lectures and like 3 hour breaks.....
    so good to be home for the weekend :D

4 hour lectures :S Liking the course though :)

This course is deadly, its piss easy, interesting and all our classes are beside the shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Started this course in 2004 and got my degree in 2008.
    Took spanish as my main language and spent 3rd year in Spain which was absolutely incredible!
    The course I studied would have had more of a political edge to it since I know they've changed it around a little bit to give it more business/marketing modules since last year.

Anyway, I really enjoyed most of my subjects and had a blast. Lecturing staff are great too.

A good few of us who have graduated from the course have gotten great jobs and started careers too in the EU Insitutions, NGO's, political campaigns, and large international businesses where having a language really helps.

Nice course to be in. Can be a bit general at times, but if you're anyway into politics, history, the arts, or languages you can really gain a lot from the course. It takes a genuine and active interest though.

To give some advice...

Get involved with the Erasmus students in your class. They throw savage parties, will help you with your language, and will really want to get to know the Irish students.

Take an active interest in EU politics, current affairs and politics. I can't stress this enough. You'll get way more from the course if you do.

Get the most from your language classes. Try not to miss them and really take an proactive interest in learning your language. The lecturers will really appreciate you showing off and getting stuck in. Also, in terms of learning, it's all about you. Some students will never like the language aspect of the course and will still speak fairly basic Spanish, or French or whatever after 4 years. If you really get into it, you'll be pretty handy by second year, and speaking like a local by the time you finish 4th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Condoms

Thats sound advice,

Anyone else ****ting it for the exams? Haha, I'm revising right now.

Advertisement