Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growling golden cocker minus testicles!!

Options
  • 21-08-2009 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

i own a 2 yr old golden cocker, he lost his testicles 1 yr ago. recently he has being growling at my male partner and his dad. He is extremely well looked after, he has never being mistreated, my partner has never hit the dog, he classes the dog as his child!! The dog doesnt snap just growls, he is very placid with myself and all other females. He is walked daily and well excercised, he sometimes has to stay with my in-laws as my partner and i work long days. My in-laws own a little terrier and he is a whiny little ****. Please help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Can I ask what you mean when you say he lost his testicles? Do you mean that he was neutered, or there was an accident?

Unfortunately it sounds as though he may be developing golden cocker rage, if you google it, you'll find a lot of information on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 laurencampion

soumds like classic spaniel rage. Its mostly associated with solid golden cockers. I have two cockers, both male and uncastrated. One is golden and seriously grumpy the other is orange roan who has a really happy go lucky attititude.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

i would say he is developing cocker rage syndrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I don't think it sounds anything like rage syndrome. This usually presents as a sudden, unprovoked attack and the dog often has glazed eyes during it. It is very rare, even in cocker spaniels.

The dog may have had a fright involving a male. Perhaps he is jealous of your partner's relationship with you. I have seen dogs before who growl only at men, especially those with deep, loud voices. It's impossible to tell over the internet though.

I would recommend you get your dog a thorough physical examination to rule out any underlying problems that may be making him grumpy first. Then I would have him assessed by a qualified, experienced behaviourist - ask for a recommendation from your vet.

Good Luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭behan29

Thanks very much for your advice. I hope you're right Miss Lockheart

• Advertisement
Advertisement