Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packaging

Options
  • 21-08-2009 3:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Hi. Are there any ideas for reducing the amount of packaging we use nowadays? can it happen? you pretty much couldn't have supermarkets if packaging restrictions were to be introduced. And until then we just use tonnes and tonnes of plastic which is wrecking the planet and creating enormous landfills.
    Why aren't biodegradeable plastics made compulsory? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Biodegradable plastics aren't necessarily the answer. There are some plastics being marketed as biodegradable and they just breakdown into other toxic components that are invisible but still do environmental damage. Also, for some examples of what can be done, Repak is working with it's members to reduce the amount of packaging they put on their goods (www.preventandsave.ie).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Repak are a scam, the sole reason for having them is so that big companies don't have to take back packaging under EU regulations.
    They pay a fee and the onus is shifted onto the consumer to dispose of the packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Poochie05

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Repak are a scam, the sole reason for having them is so that big companies don't have to take back packaging under EU regulations.
    They pay a fee and the onus is shifted onto the consumer to dispose of the packaging.
    I agree - if they had to take responsibility for managing the waste packaging (other than a financial one) they would soon be finding ways to reduce the amounts of the stuff they use - but the OP was asking was there a way to reduce the amounts of packaging being used on goods and there are some examples on that website. Admittedly one or 2 companies doing it will not make a difference but if all the Repak members did so, it could.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

so basically no, there's no solution, we'll just keep doing it until the planet is 6ft deep in our own sh*te

No there is workable solutions, just not in this country with its entrenched views and lack of political will.
    Look to the Northern Euro countries such as Germany/ and the Scandinavian countries, most have reusable glass/and plastic containers.
    Other places such as New Zealand have bulk buying in the supermarkets, you can just buy the quantity you need from a bulk bin and have your own container filled.
    Why not write to the Minister for the Environment I am sure he would be receptive to your ideas:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Other places such as New Zealand have bulk buying in the supermarkets, you can just buy the quantity you need from a bulk bin and have your own container filled.
    Why not write to the Minister for the Environment I am sure he would be receptive to your ideas:rolleyes:

Apart from for nuts, i didn't see this bulk thing anywhere in NZ, and i lived there in 2007/2008.
    Well I don't really have ideas, I'm no environmental expert, I just feel guilty about all the crap we use and was wondering if anyone out there was developing some kind of solution?

NZ does it for lots of things maybe not in all supermarkets but other places have them .I saw it for loads of things just this year in fact.
    Cereals, dried fruits, nuts, sweets and cleaning products such as detergent etc.
    In fact you can do the whole cleaning products thing here too, Ecover do the bulk packs which you refill your old bottle from as well as other cleaners.

What really annoys me here is stupidy packaged stuff like pears in a plastic tray or avocados in a twin pack, absolutely no need for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

In my opinion selective taxation is the best way to bring about change in terms of efficiency of administration and effectiveness.
    If a taxation scale was drawn up for packaging with taxes levied based on the type and amount of packaging used per product it would create an incentive for suppliers to think creatively and reduce it to the absolute minimum.
    Of course there would be an outcry and people would be wailing on Joe Duffy about the price of childrens shoes etc so it may never happen.
    IMHO the average Irish person has little or no interest in waste disposal until there's a landfill / incinerator etc being planned for around the corner from his or her home.

Advertisement