Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumping horse tattoo on "hip"(first one...)

Options
  • 21-08-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi!
    I'm looking at getting my first tattoo and could do with some advice...

I've decided that I would like a black outline drawing of a horse jumping with some detail. I want to put it on my right hip but in a bit from the bone and low enough that it's not sticking out over trousers or even a bikini (but not anywhere that's getting waxed - in case you got lost - just beside there...)

Are there any good programs that can make outline drawings from photos? I'm not a very talented artist and I've checked out a ridiculous amount of portfolios/google images etc and I can find nothing that I like.

Has anyone got a tattoo there? Does it come out ok? I figure it'll be well protected from the sun and will stay pretty personal...

Anyone wanna take a shot at drawing it for me?

Any other advice and comments welcome...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Dragonz_Rawr

Go to a tattoo artist and have them draw up the design for you - then amend it until you are happy with it. Take in the photo / drawing you like and show them. It's part of their job to design your piece for you.

I have one on my left hip - in the same placement you are talking about. I was v slim when I got it done, and over the years it has um...got bigger :D but still looks good and is in proportion

Artist did it low enough so that if I had children, it wouldn't stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

I went to a tattoo place in Stephen's Green SC and the guy said it was up to me to draw it/get it drawn and then he would photocopy it, and then trace it on me and tattoo it... I wasn't very impressed but he seemed to think it wasn't his job to draw...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Dragonz_Rawr

Eh - find a new artist. :)

I haven't been in Dublin long enough to be able to recommend artists, especially considering the one I have had done here is currently being removed due to it being done poorly - but I'm sure someone will come along soon and give you an idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Check this thread, have a look at portfolios and see who ya think would be good for the job then go and chat to em and see :)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055505603

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Do you have a horse? I may be weird, but I think it would be AWESOME if you had a horse and had someone take a picture of you jumping the horse, and then find someone to turn it into an outline or something. It would sorta be more personalized then. <dork/>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

I don't have my own horse, but I train horses for a living (currently looking for work if anyone needs a rider). That's not a bad idea, I might do a photoshoot with some of my latest and see what I can come up with...

Oh and Mark @ Inkwell's portfolio seemed to be my kind of thing, has anyone any experience with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Bellemz wrote: »
    I don't have my own horse, but I train horses for a living (currently looking for work if anyone needs a rider). That's not a bad idea, I might do a photoshoot with some of my latest and see what I can come up with...

Oh and Mark @ Inkwell's portfolio seemed to be my kind of thing, has anyone any experience with him?

I work with horses too. If people ask what I do, I tell them I "get thrown off horses for a living". That shuts them up and I don't have to explain for 3 hours how riding horses isn't "just like in the movies" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Bellemz wrote: »
    I went to a tattoo place in Stephen's Green SC and the guy said it was up to me to draw it/get it drawn and then he would photocopy it, and then trace it on me and tattoo it... I wasn't very impressed but he seemed to think it wasn't his job to draw...

An all too common attitude within tattooing in Dublin in my experience, this seems to be the extent of "custom" tattooing for many of our Dublin based "artists".
    Can any artist in Ireland freehand on a tat thats got a specific structure? By that I mean, is there a tattooist who could freehand a Geisha face for instance?

Advertisement