Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Liam Gallagher still sing?

Options
  • 21-08-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Just wondering what people's opinions on Liam Gallagher's vocals these days are. For me his once john lennon meets john lyndon voice seems destroyed, he seems unable to possess his vocal power of the 90s. Often these days when Oasis play live, to me his voice comes across as whiney and when there are high notes he appears to shout to make it work. Funny in the studio his vocals seem fine. On Dig Out Your Soul, his voice sounded as good as ever.
    But his voice is sometimes barley coming across live these days compared to the days of his great thundering vocals that would make the hairs stand up on your neck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Its a bit hit and miss with his voice. I've seen them live a few times and he either sings brillantly or else its terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Cant say Ive seen him live but on Dig Out Your Soul he sounds as good as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

I thought he sounded great at Slane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Saw them in Wembley a few weeks ago and his voice was spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

It's all pro tools tweaking his voice on 'Dig Out your Soul'. He can't hit the notes any more at all, listen to any recent live stuff. He didn't take care of his voice. A pity as it sounded great from '94-'97.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

funktastic wrote: »
    It's all pro tools tweaking his voice on 'Dig Out your Soul'. He can't hit the notes any more at all, listen to any recent live stuff. He didn't take care of his voice. A pity as it sounded great from '94-'97.

pro tools tweaking his voice, where did u hear about that? I wudn't be surprised, compare his voice live to his studio voice and it's completely different. I'd be disappointed if he was using pro tools like britney spears does, kinda takes away the genuine feel of actual singing anyway. Yeah he didn't take care of his voice, the constant drinking and in particular smoking, of years gone by, ruined his great voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

His voice is gone. Every live performance I've seen on telly or heard has been awful since their glory days. If you hadn't seen them before Parc Ui Caoimhe then you'll never have seen them in the prime of his voice.

Pity but regardless, their music is trite for years so it doesn't bother me personally. I wouldn't even watch them for nostalgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

The 'Be Here Now' tour in 97-98 was his peak. Mindblowing vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Pity but regardless, their music is trite for years so it doesn't bother me personally. I wouldn't even watch them for nostalgia.[/quote]

Oasis has been good since Heathen Chemistry, classics like 'stop crying your heart out', 'little by little','lyla','the importance of being idle','shock of the lightning' and 'falling down'. how many bands can claim to have stand out singles like that in their canon in the last few years. Their hype died after the double failure of both 'be here now' and 'standing on the shoulder of giants' albums but they are a band who can still put out respectable records and still have massive expectations for a new album release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

If you hadn't seen them before Parc Ui Caoimhe then you'll never have seen them in the prime of his voice.

Parc Ui Caoimhe, what, in 1996?? Rubbish.

His voice was perfect in Marley Park in 2005, and also at Slane this year. Saw them at Benicassim 2 weeks later however and his voice was muck.

Its hit and miss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

1996 was a weak year for him vocal wise, have a lot of boots and bar a few gigs it's pretty bad,The super gigs Knebworth were awful to my ears, only on Slide Away and Columbia was he 'Liam' 1995 was superb for gigs but he needed a rest in the latter half of the 96 tour. 97-98 edges it over 1995 for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 D0nners

He sounded pretty good at Slane.
    I'd much rather listen to a Noel Gallagher acoustic session though.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

YES:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

Awful recording but this gives you a taste of how great Slane was :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdP6UuGlmjQ

But this WAS the moment for me :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzzX1VOktPI

Advertisement