Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a dog

Options
  • 21-08-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

On Monday there one of my Cavallier King Charles died having been poisoned (maliciously). He was only 3 and was fed rat poison in meat, so much so that he died within 24 hours. I've been really depressed about it but my mother is devastated. I know its quite early to replace him but he had a brother, a CKC, who is already quite lonely and depressed.

I think for my moms sake and my other dog that we'll get another dog however my mother doesn't want another CKC cause it reminds her too much of him. She's always loved spaniels and we're looking for something in the toy dog size that is similar to one. I however have no idea of breeds so I was wondering if you could help me out with breeds/ pictures so it could help us make a decision?

I'm asking now cause it took nearly a year to find and get the two of them when I did it before so I'm gathering it could take a while to get another one or something similar.

Thanks for your help in advance,

req:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Maybe a minature jack russell. Playful, short haired and easilt adaptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Thats really awful. First of all, do you know who poisoned the dog? Do you know that they wouldn't do it again if you bought another dog?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

That's awful! Have you any idea why someone would poison your dog? Have you any proof/know who it was? Do you know where the dog picked up the meat? Was the dog wandering into neighbouring fields with sheep/cattle and worrying them? (I know it was a small dog, but even their presence in a field can upset livestock).

If the meat was on your property, do you think that it could happen again? If the dog picked it up outside your property, maybe putting up/checking fencing around your property is secure would be an idea.

If you're looking at replacing a small dog, jack russells would be a nice option.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

requiem1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

On Monday there one of my Cavallier King Charles died having been poisoned (maliciously). He was only 3 and was fed rat poison in meat, so much so that he died within 24 hours. I've been really depressed about it but my mother is devastated. I know its quite early to replace him but he had a brother, a CKC, who is already quite lonely and depressed.

I think for my moms sake and my other dog that we'll get another dog however my mother doesn't want another CKC cause it reminds her too much of him. She's always loved spaniels and we're looking for something in the toy dog size that is similar to one. I however have no idea of breeds so I was wondering if you could help me out with breeds/ pictures so it could help us make a decision?

I'm asking now cause it took nearly a year to find and get the two of them when I did it before so I'm gathering it could take a while to get another one or something similar.

Thanks for your help in advance,

req:(

A Cocker Spaniel is a similar type dog. Look up the thread on cocker spaniel information that I started before.

Go to www.wikipedia.org and type in any breed of dog in the search and it will give you pics and info.

I had a dog that I'd had over ten years poisioned before and its terrible. People wanted to rob the diesel tank we had in our farm yard and poisioned one of our terriers because she always barked when strange people came round the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

convert wrote: »
    That's awful! Have you any idea why someone would poison your dog? Have you any proof/know who it was? Do you know where the dog picked up the meat? Was the dog wandering into neighbouring fields with sheep/cattle and worrying them? (I know it was a small dog, but even their presence in a field can upset livestock).

If the meat was on your property, do you think that it could happen again? If the dog picked it up outside your property, maybe putting up/checking fencing around your property is secure would be an idea.

If you're looking at replacing a small dog, jack russells would be a nice option.

Well the dogs were only in the back garden of the house between 5 and 7 (which ties into when the vet said he digested it) on sunday evening and they can't leave the back garden as it is walled in (we live in D15 so they weren't wandering into farms).

We suspected a neighbour but we've never had complaints about them in the last three years. The ISPCA think it might have been itinerants looking to steal them but gave too much rat poison. I thinks it one of those things we'll never find out. We're just happy that one of them is still alive and well cause losing both of them would have destroyed us.

The one who died was the alpha of the two and he ate all the meat so he inadvertently save his bro from the same fate. We're not sure if it could happen again tbh but I think we're putting serious consideration into moving house after this.

I honestly don't know how someone could do
    Lemlin wrote: »
    A Cocker Spaniel is a similar type dog. Look up the thread on cocker spaniel information that I started before.

Go to www.wikipedia.org and type in any breed of dog in the search and it will give you pics and info.

I had a dog that I'd had over ten years poisioned before and its terrible. People wanted to rob the diesel tank we had in our farm yard and poisioned one of our terriers because she always barked when strange people came round the house.

Thanks for the info i was reading about american cockers are they smaller than regular cockers? are they easy to get in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

oh my god thats unbelievable ,,,how could someone deliberatly poison a dog,,i can understand you wanting to move house.i'm so sorry for your loss,, i hope your next dog will help get over it all

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. We had something similar happen to us a few years ago when one of our pups ate poison on a walk. His brother was extremely lonely without him so we decided to get him a new buddy within a few weeks. We rehomed a dog of the same age and breed and after a week or so they settled into being best friends.
    Thanks for the info i was reading about american cockers are they smaller than regular cockers? are they easy to get in Ireland?

Please don't make the mistake of thinking all spaniels are similar. Cocker and springer spaniels are working hunting dogs who need a lot of exercise and stimulation. Toby, the dog we rehomed, was given away by his first family because they got a springer spaniel when the really wanted a king charles which is a lapdog. They weren't prepared to give him the exercise he needed and he was overweight, under-developed and frustrated when we got him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Did the vet do an autopsy? I've noticed a lot of dead birds while walking my dog. Apparently birds eat food left for rats with rat poisin in it. Could the dog have eaten a rat or bird in the garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

So sorry to hear about your dog, its heartbreaking.
    My CKC died two years ago of natural causes but I do know how had it is dealing with a dogs death.

If you didnt want to get another CKC I would suggest a Bichon Frise

My neighbour has one and she is adorable and has a great temperment

Wishing you and your mom the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

I would advise you to give your other dog lots of TLC at the moment as animals can experience grief in the same way we do especially as it was their companion who died. You will need to be sensitive around introducing another dog.

As for getting another, I concur with the above....Jacks rock!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

So sorry about your dog Requiem.... the poor fella...
    If your mum is partial to a small/toy breed spaniel then maybe the Tibetan Spaniel would fit the bill for her? (not to be confused with the Tibetan Terrier which is bigger)
    Our family dog when I was younger was a TS...beautiful dogs- she was very like a fawn version of Gizmo from the Gremlins.
    There's some info on them here http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/tibetanspaniel.htm
    and pics of them here http://images.google.ie/images?gbv=2&hl=en&sa=1&q=tibetan+spaniel&btnG=Search+images&aq=f&oq=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Sorry to hear about your dog :(

To disagree with every body else, if you find that the cavaliers fit in with your lifestyle/family then I wouldn't recommend a jack russell, talk about chalk and cheese :D I have both and 5 cavaliers would be easier than 1 jrt :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

We had something similar happen a few years ago. Our alpha male Bichon Frise died of suspected poisoning. His brother was devastated and just lay down by the door wondering what was going on until we found him a new companion. She was the same age as him, neutered and had been kept in a shed for most of her life. She was so appreciative of the new home we gave her and her and our male bichon were delighted to have each other for company.

If possible I'd urge you to get him a friend of roughly the same age as chances are a small puppy may get on his nerves. If possible bring the new dog home for a few days to see how they get on before making your final decision. We did that to make sure that the two would get along. Thankfully it worked out for us. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Have to say I agree with Arcadian there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Sorry to hear that,its dreadful.

I have a jack russell also and would defo not recommend a dog like this.
    They have a lot of energy and need a LOT of attention.
    My dog could run solid for hours without taking a drink of water cos they're so stubborn if chasing something or can smell something they want when we're out-my calls often fall on completely deaf ears when we're out walking if she finds something that interests her and even though i've trained her with commands they always want to push you to limits to try to be boss!

Someone i know has a shnauzer(sp) and was really easy to train and good with people,they have a lot of good traits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

requiem1,

Sorry to hear about your CKC. What a terrible thing to happen.

I have 2 cockers and they are wonderful pets. Breed wise you can either get a gun dog (working dogs) or show/pet type. My 2 are the latter. They are house dogs, wonderfully friendly, very loyal and easy to train. They will go on long walks if you want and easily spend the rest of the day laying about. They just love company your company.

Don't know much about American cockers but the English cockers are easier to get in Ireland.

Size wise I think the American is smaller. Check out: http://www.irishdogs.ie/Breeds/American%20Cocker%20Spaniel.htm for info about American cockers.

And http://www.irishdogs.ie/Breeds/Cocker%20Spaniel.htm for English cockers.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

What about a tibetian spaniel, small and similar to ckcs. I would also recommend checking pounds first for any litle guys that would of been abandoned and lookign for a nice home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 robdrog

I have to suggest a cavalier king charles cross with a jack russell, I have one and I have never looked back. I'll post a pic if your interested

robdrog wrote: »
    I have to suggest a cavalier king charles cross with a jack russell, I have one and I have never looked back. I'll post a pic if your interested

Yeah I would be interested and guys thanks for the inputs and condolences. The vet did conduct an autopsy and gave us the report which we gave to the garda.

The gard we were dealing with was extremely nice and had a lot of experience in dealing with this. He informed us that the amount of poison in my dog's system would have killed a larger dog in that time. He was given so much that some of the tablets weren't dissolved and the vet removed them and gave them to the gard as evidence.

It was obvious from the amount that it was malicious so all we can do is speculate as to what happened.

I'm thinking the pound might be an option, any good ones people know of?
    oh and by the way my mom's not a big fan of jack russels :)

picture.php?albumid=731&pictureid=3685

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Just in case your Mam changes her mind about getting another cav:

www.ckcsrescue.com

So sorry for your loss btw...x

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Sorry to hear about your dog. There are some awful people out there. If you are considering getting a rescue have a look at www.dogsindistress.org (DID) they work with Ashton Pound which is quite near you. The dogs under Urgent action can be adopted straight from the pound and those under dogs/pups needing homes are under the care of DID and are in foster. Also have a look at www.lasthope.ie they work with meath pound and finally, while a little further out have a look at Dogs life (sorry dont have their website id) they work with Dundalk pound.

Have to agree re the JRT - they maybe small but there is a lot of energy packed into their bodies.

robdrog wrote: »
    picture.php?albumid=731&pictureid=3685

He/she is gorgeous, what size do they end up being? they look quite large?

I'm going to check out that ckc rescue and the other shelters and see what they have. At least then I might be able to find one around my dogs age.

Here's a picture of the two fo them, the red and white one was the one who died

dsci0392.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

He informed us that the amount of poison in my dog's system would have killed a larger dog in that time. He was given so much that some of the tablets weren't dissolved and the vet removed them and gave them to the gard as evidence.

It was obvious from the amount that it was malicious so all we can do is speculate as to what happened.

This is truly, truly awful. The poor little creature. It's really a horrible way to go. I just don't know how I would feel, the loss combined with the anger. People who harm animals have no qualms about hurting humans aslo. There is just no way to rationalise it. I only hope for your sake it doesn't become a long, drawn out case.

I'm a big fan of Jack Russells but they may not be for everybody. A Sheltie is also a lovely dog with a lovely, gentle temperament. They get on really well with other dogs and are great with children although they do have a double coat which needs regular brushing.

picture.php?albumid=731&pictureid=3688

Theres a picture of his size there. I have better pictures on my home PC a just cant get on at the moment. Comparing his size to other Cavaliers on our road he is the same size as them however much bigger then a jack russell.

Rob where did you get him? I mentioned it to my mom last night and she liked the idea, do they come in the usual CKC colours?

Now we got ours on donedeal.ie, we got them off a lady who breeds them from Galway. Unfortunatley I have no contact details for her sorry but I would keep an eye on donedeal.ie if your interested cause some crop up every now and again. The ones Iv seen on donedeal do vary in colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Temperment and size wise shih tzus and bichon freises are similar to cavs, most types of terriers tend to be a little more out going.
    There isint a huge difference between english and american cockers, except that english are a lot more popular and more widely available in Ireland.
    Would you consider a king charles spaniel, the cavalier king charles spaniel and the king charles spaniel are actually two different breeds entirely, they do look very similar though?
    I have a cairn terrier x, and would highly reccommend them, but he would be a little less laid back compared to a cav, that said he is still a couch potato:D

Advertisement