Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think....

Options
  • 20-08-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

....a general degree is?

I had this out with someone today.

I think its an Arts degree like a BA, they think its a pass degree.

Solve an argument please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I thought the level of degree you have was always just dependent on whether it was a first class honours, 2nd class etc etc :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

....a general degree is?

B.A. from double hons I would reckon as a standard degree.

Although, there is a world of difference between a pass/third and 1st degree holder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

....a general degree is?

Honestly Minister you have to be a bit more clear.

If I understand you...a general degree would mean for eg..BS in economics and Politics /French without any major concentration.It mainly occurs in social sciences/arts by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I would have thought a general degree course was one you apply to because it's very open such as a general science course, a general engineering course or arts. It's just a turn of phrase though. There's no such thing as a "general" degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The reason I'm being unclear is that he is filling out a form which has a special requirement for holders of "pass/general degrees".

No more information is provided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/479371.stm

The equivalent of an Ordinary Degree in the UK?

EDIT: Actually just re-read that, seems to be a pass degree, i.e. an award you get for failing to get honours in an Honours Degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Eureka! Gottit.

When you do science you do 4 years. After three you are awarded a general degree, then you get a better degree after the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Is it not like the equivelant of a HND?

Advertisement