Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIV Vaccine

Options
  • 20-08-2009 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi All

Does anyone know if the FIV vaccine is available in Ireland yet

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

No, its not available and tbh, i would be very doubtful it will be in the future. There are too many questions and concerns regarding this. How effective is it, and the fact that if you test a cat for FIV and it has been vaccinated it will test positive for the FIV virus, so how do you tell the difference between a infected cat and a vaccinated cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Robot1

Thanks Jules

I thought it sounded too good to be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

Jules wrote: »
    the fact that if you test a cat for FIV and it has been vaccinated it will test positive for the FIV virus, so how do you tell the difference between a infected cat and a vaccinated cat.

Not entirely true; a real blood test (sent off to a lab) can, as far as I know, tell the difference between antibodies and the actual virus. The instant test that vets do on the spot is FAR less accurate and can't tell the difference.

But the efficacy of the vaccine is certainly debatable, and I wouldn't look to give it to my cats even if it were available here.

In any event, I read that in the U.S. FIV only affects something like 2% of the "at risk" cat population. I doubt it's much higher here?

My cats are actually indoors only so they're pretty safe I think :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

Just some Links on FIV, I have had FIV cats here, and during there well stages mixed with my own cats

http://ireland.iol.ie/~pjmathew/faqfiv.htm

http://www.anicare.ie/pdf/fiv.pdf

http://www.catactiontrust.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=20&MMN_position=38:38

Also another good place to try is Top Cat or Kitten Adoption both Forums are a mine full of information when it comes to Cats and Kittens and are both based in Ireland. When I had Garfield here I was given so much support from people who knew what they were talking about:)

annefitzy wrote: »
    I have had FIV cats here, and during there well stages mixed with my own cats

As stated in one of those linked articles though, "Recent research suggests the likelihood of cats passing on FIV to others in the same household is as low as 1-2%." Higher likelihood if your cats fight each other of course.

For a lot of cat owners, even a 1-2% avoidable risk for their cats is unacceptable, and for that reason many vets will tell you to keep known FIV positive cats apart from cats that are clear of the disease.

I know people have succesfully had cats mixed together, but I would personally never knowingly introduce a FIV positive cat into my household, and if there were an available, effective vaccine, I would get it at the first opportunity. Hopefully they will develop something in the coming years though!

• Advertisement

As stated in one of those linked articles though, "Recent research suggests the likelihood of cats passing on FIV to others in the same household is as low as 1-2%." Higher likelihood if your cats fight each other of course.

For a lot of cat owners, even a 1-2% avoidable risk for their cats is unacceptable, and for that reason many vets will tell you to keep known FIV positive cats apart from cats that are clear of the disease.

I know people have succesfully had cats mixed together, but I would personally never knowingly introduce a FIV positive cat into my household, and if there were an available, effective vaccine, I would get it at the first opportunity. Hopefully they will develop something in the coming years though!

The reason I have replied to this thread is as I had some fiv cats here in the past and when I first took garfield into my home I didnt know he was fiv but it didnt make me love him any less and as I said when Garfied was unwell he was kept away from other cat not for there sake but for his and given what I know now about FIV I would take another one in again no problem if I had the space;)

Keep FIV positive cats indoors so that they are not a risk to other outdoor cats and so the FIV positive cat will not be exposed to pathogens carried by other cats. The FIV cat is MORE AT RISK FROM OTHER CATS..Not the other way around.

the link below is a thread on the kitten adoption site this lady has spent yrs in doing what she does and anytime I have had a suitation that I didnt know what to do I would contact her
    Please read some of the stuff that Jan has wrote about FIV cats before you make up your mind

http://kittenadoption.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=fiv&action=display&thread=624

The FIV cat is MORE AT RISK FROM OTHER CATS..Not the other way around.

Possibly so, but I think the OP is more worried about their non-FIV cat contracting the virus, hence asking about the vaccine ;) I expect they're more worried from the point of view of their cat going outdoors and catching it, rather than the possibility of adopting an FIV+ cat.

Most of the statistics I find online is US, anyone know the official prevalence of FIV in Ireland, out of interest?

Possibly so, but I think the OP is more worried about their non-FIV cat contracting the virus, hence asking about the vaccine ;) I expect they're more worried from the point of view of their cat going outdoors and catching it, rather than the possibility of adopting an FIV+ cat.

Most of the statistics I find online is US, anyone know the official prevalence of FIV in Ireland, out of interest?
    I gave you the link to Kitten Adoption forum Jan was based in Dublin and has done tons of research on Kittens and cats....she wrote tons of stuff on KA ;)

I gave you the link to Kitten Adoption forum Jan was based in Dublin and has done tons of research on Kittens and cats....she wrote tons of stuff on KA ;)

Yeah but that means registering for even more forums :P Apparently no guest viewing.

Yeah but that means registering for even more forums :P Apparently no guest viewing.

Well I guess if you want to read what Jan wrote about Fiv and Hiv you will have to register:D imo I have no problem joining any group if it will better animals in Ireland and it is all about getting the correct information out there:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Hi Robot1,

I have two rescued semi-feral cats who have become total lap-cats, a brother and sister tag-team who are inseparable :D
    The boy had been in the wars and has pieces of his ears missing and he had to have a damaged eye removed. His sister, who refused to leave him when he was captured and so was taken and placed together with him, was in good health.
    After we'd done the round of vaccinations we had them tested for FIV/FELV. The girl came back negative but the boy was positive and the caring/sharing vet asked if I wanted him put to sleep.
    I would honestly hate to be one of her children if that's the way she reacts to news of illness. :eek:
    We declined her kind offer and moved to another vet who's much more understanding.
    Both cats are in good health and we keep a close eye on them for anything even slightly unusual. The girl remains uninfected which is a relief although it wouldn't affect how we treated her either way as she's as much part of the family as he is.
    We imported a garden fencing system from a company called purrfect fence in the USA which allows us to let them out in the garden without the possibility of them getting out or other cats getting in. This allows them the freedom to play and hide and climb and chase and do all the other crazy cat things without putting either them or the neighbourhood cats at risk.
    I am in contact with the veterinary dept in UCD and have had some good advice from them but as the following excerpt from an earlier mail suggests, it's not considered a priority disease for research and treatment here in Ireland.

"You sound like you have the transmission issue under control and just occasionally (yearly or more) just test the mate as excessive licking may also transfer virus...and while most playful activities result in non-penetrating bites, we cannot discount the possibility of this.
    I an not aware of any vets in Ireland supplying anything other than supportive therapies.. We have in the past undertook some viral load studies but are not in aposition to do that anymore. One place that may still do it is the University of Glasgow, Feline Virus Laboratory at the veterinary school. If your cat is currently healthy then the value of such activity is questionable. I would struggle to interpret any alterations in viral loads as having any meaning if a cat is remaining healthy. While there has been significant sucesss in HAART therapy for AIDS patients in reducing viral loads similar studies have been very small in cats, some of which were done by friends of mine in Germany and the Netherlands. None of the drugs are licenced for use in cats, and therefore your vet is not allowed to use them."

I think the only option open to owners of FIV+ cats is to be extra vigilant and monitor their pet's health carefully. A lot of small illnesses can develop into bigger problems if not spotted and treated immediately.
    A cat will often hide any symptoms of pain or illness as a throwback to a time when any weakness in the wild made them vulnerable so it can be hard to spot if you don't know your cat very well.
    We can't wrap them up in cotton wool as they will always be cats and ignore our plea's to be careful so the onus is on us to be aware of anything unusual, no matter how small, and arrange treatment immediately.
    Any unnecessary stress on the cat can cause a dip in their immune system so we keep ours at home and have a friend (who they know and love) cat-sit while we're away instead of trying to move them to the strange and potentially scary environs of a cattery - no matter how good. That way they're always relaxed and stress-free.
    Many cats can survive for years without serious problems or the cat developing full blown cat-aids but it's helpful to have an understanding and sympathetic vet who will do the best for your little bundle of fur at all times.

Advertisement