Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

don't mention the war?

Options
  • 20-08-2009 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi Boards

Long time lurking fan etc here :)

Just thought I'd share something strange that happened in work today...

Basically I drew up a document that needed to be proofed by some people in Germany. It had to do with tax and I used lots of abbreviations, including one for their Solidarity Surcharge tax...

A German guy wrote back and said "never use SS in a German document"!:o

It took a minute for the penny to drop and to be honest I was kinda shocked! It never occurred to me that SS might be a wrong combination of letters...(64 years after the event like).

I'm kinda new in the job and I certainly don't want to offend any German colleagues but jeezz - I'm thinking yer man might be a bit touchy...

Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Best not use this as the cover either.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MrEko

Build a bridge and get over it tbh, 64 years is a long time. It begs the question, how do you tell your german relatives about the killing you made using your SSIA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I don't like abbreviations and textspeak. It is discourteous to the reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Shakakan wrote: »
    I'm thinking yer man might be a bit touchy...
    A

Germans don't do touchy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I was in Munich last week and this was one of the first things I was told by an Irishman living there. Do not bring up the war. If they bring it up, well and good, have tact, but don't go asking questions out of turn.

In this case, probably a little touchy since you weren't referencing that exactly, but imagine if you wrote a document saying "IRA tax" here?

Even writing that, i'm kind of thinking to myself "what the feck am I saying..." but it's what I was told...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Maybe be the Gerries were put wide that you were a new boy in the office their just feicin' with you?

If you get a mail demanding " ein bucket of ze steam! As schnell as possible!" then you'll know.

Watch out for long stands, skirting ladders and sky hooks as well.

Advertisement