Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting broardband next door

• 20-08-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭

hi i'm looking to see how to increase the broadband signal from my parents house to enable me to wifi in my house which is next door. about 50ft. I can get a signal from the router in the garden but when i move into the house i lose it.
    is it possible to increase the signal?
    what do i need to buy?
    would i be better with a mobile doggle?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

It may be possible to use a wireless repeater.
    This is basically just another wireless access point that operates on a different channel extending the wireless coverage.

Another option (depending on the hardware in use) would be higher gain antennas.

If your looking for something cheap, this will do the job:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=346636

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

If its an eircom box or any wireless router that has a removable connection try putting a beter aerial on it. The default ones are oftern just a wire inside a plastic tube.

Maplin and several other online stores offer much better options that could double or even tripple the signal strength. Also if the source router is in a suitable location you could run an external system ourside the house. But that does tend to be pricey.

The location of the router is also a factor get it as close and high as possible as the signal goes in all directions.

Also near the thinest walls or near a window again to improve the signal.
    A repeater would work only if there was a signal to boost and most of them halve the performance.

Advertisement