Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike repairs - southside Dublin

Options
  • 20-08-2009 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi folks,
    Any recommendations for bike repair shops in and around Dublin 2-ish? Used to go to one in Rathgar but live near Merrion Square now so don't fancy wheeling my bockety bike all the way out there this time!
    Cheers in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

there's a great little place in temple bar, beside the head shop down a set of stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

there's another one just down from christchurch

but i think the best one in dublin is the little place on dorset street... mc cormacks i think it is.... run by an oul fella who has probably been doing it for thirty years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Queenofsheba

Thanks a lot you folks! Wonder how the Temple Bar one works though - do you take your bike down a set of stairs? Might give the patronage to the aul' fella on Dorset Street - like to keep them going!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

They are both auld fellas! Square Wheel in Temple Bar is great, but don't look for your bike back in a hurry, he's a bit flakey. There is a bike shop at the top of Bath Avenue just at the junction of Upper Grand Canal St. and Shelbourne Rd., that would probably be your closest, but I have no idea what his standard of repair is.
    If you want someone to come to you, myself and a friend have just started a mobile repair service, and we are always around Merrion Square during the day. Not sure if I'm breaking some Boards rules here by self promoting?? But if you don't want to have to bring your bike to a shop we can come to you at some point during the day and fix most things. If you let us know exactly what's needed we can even bring parts for you. Call us on 0868478117 if you've any interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

When I lived in Rathmines in the late 90s, I had a lot of good dealings with Commuting Solutions (Lower Rathmines Rd.). There's also a bicycle / motor-bike shop just next to Harold's Cross bridge. I was there about 10 years ago to buy a lock and got chatting to the ould fella. He was pretty knowledgeable and straightforward and he struck me as being a competent mechanic. However, I've no idea if he's still around as I haven't been in years.

dubmess: best of luck with your new business. When I used to work as a courier I thought a mobile repair service would've been a great idea. However, it might be best to send your phone number in a PM rather than publishing it on a public board as there's the possibility of some eejits ringing you up and wasting your time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭godihatethehils

Commuting Solutions in Rathmines is now called Think Bike, it's right beside ALDI. Still the same owner AFAIK and I'd highly recommend them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

Ant: I have had that fear of the phone numbers... but we have already put 500 spoke cards in wheels around Dublin with our details on it... times are tough! I'll wade through some wasters to get the work. And so far 99.9% of people have been genuine. I naively believe in the general decency of people.

Commuting Solutions in Rathmines is indeed now ThinkBike and it is indeed the same owner John. I worked there a couple of years ago and I can confirm that it is probably the most welcoming bike shop in Dublin. No pretentiousness. They will take any bike and have recently expanded to a separate workshop around the back with top class mechanics. If you can get your bike there they will definitely sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

dubmess wrote: »
    If you want someone to come to you, myself and a friend have just started a mobile repair service, and we are always around Merrion Square during the day.

I would reccommend the mobile service, Chris worked as a mechanic in the past and came to my work to fix my bike for me. No time without the bike and charged me a reasonable price too.

Advertisement