Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work Placement Program (WPP)

• 20-08-2009 7:12pm

Just got a text (from an unknown number, oddly). It was pretty much a copy paste of this:

The Work Placement Programme offers unemployed people, including unemployed graduates, the opportunity to obtain 6 months work experience while on a work placement with a company. While on the work placement participants retain their social welfare status and entitlements.

Which is quoted from here:

http://fas.ie/en/About+Us/News/23rd+July+2009.htm

Has anyone else heard about this or know of any more information on it?

Personally I think it's a pretty good idea, but I've a feeling they're going to (or already have) make a balls of it.

I'd love to work six months for 204 per week if I was in a job that was a bit obscure or could be made a career of (ie; if you had to be an assistant to a managing director, or working in interior design, or any of the trades like mechanic, cabinet making, etc.) but I've a feeling FAS will be expecting people to go out and stack shelves in Tesco five days a week (which I can imagine very, very few people would have any interest in doing).

Just wondering if anyone else knows anythng about this or has any opinion on it? This is the first I've heard of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Nothing more than glorified slave labour imo, you'd want to be completely and utterly desperate to even consider going for something like that.
    Although it must be said, it's the first time I've ever seen a BSC required as a pre-requisite to picking cotton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lo2009

i know, i would love to do something like this if i still cant find any work after 6 months, but to work a 35 - 40 hour week on just 204 euro is definitely slave labour, even on a CE scheme where you only work part-time you get 228 euro, or there abouts, they should really think about at least giving a small bit more than the basic dole and then i'm sure more people would apply,you'd basically be working for 5 euro an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mechofrank

Hi all,

A late reply to KKV.

Would anyone be interested in securing work placement/experience in companies based in Eastern Europe and Asia.

This would be in conjunction with the Fas Work Placement Program.

The idea behind it is that through international business contacts, these placements can be organised for you based on your requirements/qualifications (graduates only) on a 3-6-9 month duration as the Fas December review states will be acceptable.

The work experience will be aimed towards your field of study making it valuable to your future career and your CV.

The renumeration for your work placement duration will be paid by the Fas WPP (flights and Visa paid by you).

At the moment the positions will be available for graduates of the engineering/science disciplines only but this may expand (based on demand to marketing/business/built environment/arts etc).

"The attraction and benefit of this is that, based on the current unemployment assistance/job seekers allowance payable, this will be at least or more than enough to provide a normal living wage/lifestyle for the duration of the placement in the countries that will be providing the placement and also a great working experience for you".

For example 6 months electronic/mechanical engineering experience in shanghai for a multinational company would be something we could set-up for you.

If anyone is interested or has any questions regarding this please ask or make comment.

Regards

Mecho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Chamonix

The Work Placement Programme is for providers i.e. employers and participants based in Ireland. It is an opportunity for individuals to gain experience in many types of companies. Look at the FAS website for the various WPPs available throughout Ireland.

Where does it say "Look at the FAS website for the various WPPs available throughout Ireland" Chamonix ?

• Advertisement

Access www.fas.ie Select the Jobseeker box then 'Find a Job' then 'Job Type'. You will see there are 468 Work Placement Programme opportunities advertised. There are 310 for graduates at Fetac Level 7 or higher and 158 for non graduates.

Chamonix,

Are you interested in this?

I have contacts through FAS and throughout Eastern Europe/Asian companies, have you got any positive input ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Nothing more than glorified slave labour imo, you'd want to be completely and utterly desperate to even consider going for something like that.
    Although it must be said, it's the first time I've ever seen a BSC required as a pre-requisite to picking cotton.

A friend of mine has been unemployed since Sept 08, qualified chartered accountant, Bsc in computer programming and been in employment part/full time from age 16 till then.
    She could have sat on her arse and drew the dole, complaining that it wasn't fair and that she'd worked so hard her whole life and ended up here. She decided instead to start on the WPP so that the gap on her cv didn't get any bigger. Her role is giving her vital experience she's never had before, so she'll be more employable when times up.
    Something to think about before you all write this off.

Mecho

As I said, the Work Placement Programme is only available to employers based in Ireland, not in Eastern Europe or Asia

If anyone is interested, let me know, the Irish boundary as stated by Chamonix is not a problem ;)

• Advertisement

A participant on the WPP retains their payment from the DSFA. To do this they must be with an employer based in Ireland. If the participant secures work experience with an employer based outside of Ireland, they will no longer be entitled to a payment from the DSFA. This programme is for jobseekers who secure a placement with an employer based within Ireland only.

Well said, gleep !!

"This programme is for jobseekers who secure a placement with an employer based within Ireland only" ????

If you are going to state something from some establishment/organisation, please provide a link so we can verify it !!

That would be nice! if you are capable of that.

Mecho

Why are you misleading jobseekers. Are they not finding things difficult enough without you telling them that they can secure work placement/experience in Eastern Europe and Asia in conjunction with the Work Placement Programme. This is false information. The reason I am replying to you is in the hope that jobseekers will not believe your incorrect information.

Chamonix,

This is a opportunity for job seekers, if you read back on what i have said, it will explain everything!!

Its mainly for graduates, Chamonix if you have not been able to obtain a qualification to this level, im sorry but please don't ruin it for everyone else.

FAS website

'FÁS will conduct a monitoring visit within two months of the commencement of the work placement, where both the Provider and Participant have the opportunity to discuss any issues that may arise during the placement. A subsequent monitoring visit may also be conducted either on a random sample basis or if considered necessary.'

I don't reckon that monitoriing visit will be outside Ireland, do you!!

Hello again Chamonix,

Yes, I've looked into that and again its not a problem.

I will be on to Fas tomorrow, so if you have any "real" questions, about my proposal please ask again.

For now, i'm going to bed.

Regards

Frank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

mechofrank, I believe in this case the onus is on you to provide a link to an Irish state website saying that the WPP is applicable to jobs outside of Ireland.

If you can not do so, please stop arguing with posters.

Personally I feel it is unlikely that the State would pay someone to work in a company outside of Ireland - why should they give another country free labour? This program isn't only intended to benefit jobseekers but also companies within Ireland by providing them with cheaper labour.

For companies that want to get involved:
    If you wish to register your interest in this programme, you should be aware of the following essential criteria:
    Your business must employ a minimum of 10 employees
    Your business may not have a vacancy in the work activity in which you are offering the placement
    Your business must be fully compliant with current workplace health and safety, all other legal requirements and be recognised as a legal entity
    Your business must have Public and Employers liability insurance that covers participants while on the programme

Taken from the PDF at the bottom of this page:

http://www.fas.ie/en/Employer/WPP/default.htm

Direct link to PDF:

http://www.fas.ie/NR/rdonlyres/D6E972FA-8CD4-4E93-A0DB-FF7A78B9FCC8/0/WPPProviderFlyer.pdf

With that, i can only assume the company must be based or have a branch in Ireland, but they can send you out of ireland during (or for) the six months if they feel like it. It is, however, very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dellywelly

mechofrank wrote: »
    "This programme is for jobseekers who secure a placement with an employer based within Ireland only" ????

If you are going to state something from some establishment/organisation, please provide a link so we can verify it !!

That would be nice! if you are capable of that.

MECHO,
    I coordinate the WPP from Head Office in FAS and I can confirm what you say is utterly incorrect and misleading to jobseekers. The government has no intention of approving placements overseas and never did.

Please contact FAS on head offce 01 607 0500 and ask to be put through to the Work Placement Progreamme unit, as I would like to discuss this further with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

mechofrank wrote: »
    Would anyone be interested in securing work placement/experience in companies based in Eastern Europe and Asia.
    Wow, what was all that about. Mildly creepy to be honest, I'd say a tad more investigation to find out what this individual is playing at might be warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bombbastic22

Could he be looking to steal people's kidneys? Or traffic them? That is seriously strange what that mecho fellow is talking about. He's either got a weird sense of humour or up to no good.

Either way - he should be banned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Zombie thread. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement