Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm 25 with a previous degree looking to go back to undergraduate.

Options
  • 20-08-2009 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi.

Thinking of doing History in Politics in TCD in Sept '10. Was heading down the solicitor route but my lack of interest in the career, coupled with the economic downturn, has completely put me off the idea.

I'm 25 and have a previous degree and 505pts. I was also interested in studying in UCL, LSE or KCL but their entrance requirements seem a bit prohibitive.

I have a massive interest in History and really regret not studying it in College. Would a traditional CAO form be my best bet or should I apply as a mature student? Do I have to show some work experience or extra-curricular interest in what I'd like to study? Would my previous degree stand against me as there might be more "deserving" candidates?

A lot of questions there, I know!

W Mason

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

I am a mature student going into second year of history at TCD. The primary requirement is that you demonstrate a clear interest in the subject and a capacity to carry out the necessary work, i.e. reading, essays, exams, etc. I would have thought that your previous academic experience would count in your favour rather than act as a handicap, simply because it shows you have the ability.

I was a first-timer at college so I had to go through the CAO. I also completed a separate application for TCD in which I made as strong a case as I could for my credentials to study history. Following that, I attended an interview with members of the history faculty. The best thing is to check with the college as to the process. They will be holding open days for potential mature students around December next.

I can recommend TCD wholeheartedly for history. A couple of my mature student classmates are doing hist/pol there and it seems to be a little more demanding as far as assignments are concerned. I applied for that also but was not accepted. Now, I'm delighted to be doing just history as, obviously, you can cover more of the subject and, like you, I love it.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

entry to first year of all courses in irish universitys and IT's is through CAO, you may have to do other forms but CAO is always required...

Advertisement