Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre Width versus Grip in the wet

Options
  • 20-08-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I use a Bowery for my daily commute and I'm still running the stock 700x26c Kenda Kontender tyres.

On the dry it feels great but in the wet I'm not such a happy camper and wouldn't feel near as confident on the bike. The wheels feel like the have very little grip.

I really need to take it very handy especially when cornering, crossing/avoiding pot holes, Luas tracks, man hole covers, white lines etc.... Now this could be in my head or down to my lack of skill! :) But I was wondering if having a wider tyre such as a 28c or even 30c would make difference?

My commute is through the city centre so it's not really the place I want to have a spill! So if it does make a considerable difference I'd consider changing up as we come into the autumn/winter..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 theclimber

I had 700 x 26c kenda's and found them terrible in wet. I went for continental gator skins due to the reviews here on boards. Ironic as it seems my gators are 700 x 23c. No spills yet after a year of commuting and a few sportifs on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its probably the tyre material rather than the width. Some are more grippy than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

Cool, so at least some one else found the Kenda's slippy when wet!

I'll look into the Gatorskins. I've also head the the Schwalbe Marathon Plus are worth looking at....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,042 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'll look into the Gatorskins. I've also head the the Schwalbe Marathon Plus are worth looking at....

In size 700x25, Gatorkins are 280g compared to 580g for the Marathon Plus.

I wouldn't bother except perhaps on something like a Dutch city bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

I would definitely agree that it's the material rather than the width.

If you're interested in having a tyre that will probably guarantee you a year of puncture-free riding then go for the Marathon Plus, a little bit slower rolling than the Gator Skin, but I wouldn't imagine a huge difference if you're just commuting.

I use the Gator Skins myself, but I know a few people that use the wider Schwalbe tyre and highly recommend them. Both great tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

All that said, it's still a good idea to take it handy over metal objects in the wet, no matter what tires you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

As far as performance gains from one brand to another, I think it doesn't matter a bit. Comparing performance tyres, I think they're all cr@p in the wet.

As far as going for higher profile, my experience is with 19-25mm tyres, so I really don't know if going larger would help or hinder.

Going for puncture resistance (Gatorskins) makes a lot of sense, as does moving from 23mm to >=25mm in the winter; that extra bit of rim protection can be useful.

You're right rottenhat, metal objects are deadly, as are painted lines and anywhere that cars have to stop, like traffic lights (oil deposits).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I nothing to compare them with, other the original mtb tyres but I've Specialized Nimbus Armadillo slicks on my MTB and they always get slated for being poor grip wise especially in the wet. But the only issue I've had is over metal/paint on the road. Mind you I'm quite slow on the bike. Only had one puncture in over a year of commuting though.

Someone in work had the Kenda (I think) on their SCR 4 and switched to GP4000 and felt they were better overal, but didn't mention the wet specifically.

Advertisement