Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a second wordpress blog on same server

Options
  • 20-08-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

I've a wordpress blog up and running, but I want to add a second one on the same server. I'm on a dedicated server with full access to everything.

From what I can google, my options are to
    - do some fancy stuff with .htaccess and config.php, and have symbolic links point to the actual folder it's installed in
    - install WP again for the new blog

The first one looks a better option if I'm going to adding more blogs in future. But I'm a bit worried I might break the current blog temporarily while doing it.
    Also, if I end up moving off the dedicated server in the future, it looks like it might be harder to separate one blog from the others (or is it? I'm pretty new to WP) if I don't want them all hosted.

Against the second option is that I've a load of plugins installed and don't really want to have to go through all that again. Can I just copy everything in /var/www/blog1 to /var/www/blog2 , and just change the database settings?

Any advice appreciated from anyone who's done something similar before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Just do a fresh install in another directory, it only takes 5 minutes to install.

Also if you're considering doing multiple blogs, have a look at wordpress MU.

One WP install multiple blogs:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/

Makes more sense than installing multiple instances of wordpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

colm_c wrote: »
    Just do a fresh install in another directory, it only takes 5 minutes to install.
    It only takes about 5 minutes for the vanilla install, but then I'll hast to install a rake of plugins again, which is why I was wondering if I can just copy an existing installation? Or is there any kind of plugin manager that lets you save an installation and then automatically install the same plugins on another install?
    Also if you're considering doing multiple blogs, have a look at wordpress MU.

One WP install multiple blogs:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/

Makes more sense than installing multiple instances of wordpress.

Had a look at that, but it looks like overkill for what won't be more than max 3-4 blogs.

Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Just create the second directory and dump a copy of the existing install into the second directory , you will then obviously need to modify it slightly to not look identical to the first install , but all the plugins etc should be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Sposs wrote: »
    Just create the second directory and dump a copy of the existing install into the second directory , you will then obviously need to modify it slightly to not look identical to the first install , but all the plugins etc should be there.
    I'll try thatjust wanted to know i

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

You can host multiple instances of WordPress in the same database once you use a different table prefix for each installation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

You should also check out Apache Virtual servers (google it). Basically this allows you to run multiple websites from the same server. If you need a hand shout and I would be glad to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

pontovic wrote: »
    You should also check out Apache Virtual servers (google it). Basically this allows you to run multiple websites from the same server. If you need a hand shout and I would be glad to help.

This.

It takes but a few minutes to set up, assuming you have root access to your server

Advertisement