Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax - Im a little confused

Options
  • 20-08-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

Im filling out my motor tax form for a used car I bought last month and I have a couple of questions.

The cert of road worthiness: Where do I find this? Is it in the log book somewhere or is it on the NCT disc? there is a long number in the NCT disc that looks like it but its a few too many characters too long so it made me doubt it.

Then it asks me for Tax Renewal Details.
    I bought the car used last month and it had no tax disc
    The form asks me to fill in when the last disc expired but I dont have one so I cant fill that in, do I need to find this out?

Non use period, it hasnt not been in use since I got it so its ok to leave that blank? Unless it means the time between the tax ran out and the car being sold.

Lastly, do I have to fill in how much the tax is or do that do that in the office. I ask this as there is a box to fill in an amount of money but I dont know what to put in if I have to at all.

Im just generally confused by this form :p

Regards
    bbk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Certificate of Roadworthiness is your NCT disk..just leave it blank and bring your NCT disk into the tax office with you. They can fill it out in there.

Before you pay your tax check here www.mywheels.ie/ for when it was last taxed.
    Then use the date upto now and say it was off the road.
    You'll need the tax form signed by the Gardai before you present it at the tax office.

As for the amount it all depends on what option you select.
    3 month/6 month/1 year and the price depends on what cc the car is (presuming it's older than july 2008)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Berkut wrote: »
    Certificate of Roadworthiness is your NCT disk..just leave it blank and bring your NCT disk into the tax office with you. They can fill it out in there.

Before you pay your tax check here www.mywheels.ie/ for when it was last taxed.
    Then use the date upto now and say it was off the road.
    You'll need the tax form signed by the Gardai before you present it at the tax office.

As for the amount it all depends on what option you select.
    3 month/6 month/1 year and the price depends on what cc the car is (presuming it's older than july 2008)

Thanks, mywheels (great service) says its tax ran out last February.

I was going to use the RF100A form and post it in but would you think its easier to do it in person?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

You only have to pay tax from the start of the month you took ownership of the car, not from when tax expired.

There should be a part on the form to fill in for this purpose.

You need to fill in the amount it will cost (including any back tax). If you post the year (if pre 2008) or the emissions (if post 2008) and when you bought the car, I'll work the tax cost for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

R.O.R wrote: »
    You only have to pay tax from the start of the month you took ownership of the car, not from when tax expired.

There should be a part on the form to fill in for this purpose.

You need to fill in the amount it will cost (including any back tax). If you post the year (if pre 2008) or the emissions (if post 2008) and when you bought the car, I'll work the tax cost for you.

mycheck.ie said the tax is 582 euro. My car is a 1.9 Golf TDI.
    I dont know about back tax though. The car was bought in the middle of last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bbk wrote: »
    I dont know about back tax though. The car was bought in the middle of last month.

€582 for a year
    €323 for 6 months
    €164 for 3 months

Arrears are charged at €58.20 per month so you'll need to pay one month's arrears as well as tax the car from the first day of 08/2009 to the last day of 07/2010 (if doing 12 months).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

bbk wrote: »

Well then you tax it from the start of this month and pay one month's arrears for last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Berkut wrote: »

You haven't needed the NCT for tax for years.

Just leave it blank and don't bother bringing in the nct cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

my car was imported last year from N.I. I bought it a few weeks ago, but it has no NCT on it, will the tax crowd still tax it when I go over tomorrow? I've been trying to book an NCT on it on the internet for the past few weeks but it keeps crashing on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cloneslad wrote: »
    my car was imported last year from N.I. I bought it a few weeks ago, but it has no NCT on it, will the tax crowd still tax it when I go over tomorrow? I've been trying to book an NCT on it on the internet for the past few weeks but it keeps crashing on me.
    Yes, but get it booked in for the NCT asap - they're starting to clamp down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Anan1 wrote: »
    Yes, but get it booked in for the NCT asap - they're starting to clamp down on it.

Thanks, The earliest spot I have seen available in the areas closest to me is in november :eek: what happens if I book one of these spots and get pulled over in the next few months? It's hardly my fault they are so backlogged!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement