Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat neutered or not? cat behaviour

Options
  • 20-08-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

The cat I got, everyone* just assumed she was neutered, she hasn't been showing signs she's in heat. But for the past two night there has been a stray tom cat(I'm 100% sure it's a tom) outside my window meowing at my cat. He was even trying to claw the window open! I also live on the second floor so it wasn't an easy task for the cat to climb up there, I even heard him falling off when he was getting down. My cat just really sits on the bed looking at him, she might meow at him a little but mainly she just sits watching him.

I'm starting to think that since he's so interested in getting to her that she wouldn't be neutered but then again she's showing no signs of being in heat. I'm confused, the first time I brought her to the vet to be checked out the vet couldn't find any signs of a scar but then again she has very thick fur and you can hardly see signs of skin. I don't want to put her through a needless operation, I want to be fully sure that she needs to be neutered before getting it done.

*everyone is the animal shelter, vet and me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

maybe the doc could shave the fur where a scar would have most likely been? Surely it would be noticeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

maybe the doc could shave the fur where a scar would have most likely been? Surely it would be noticeable?

He said that cat's heal very well and there may not even be a scar! She lost a leg before I got her and there is no scar from the surgery only a little bit of fur missing on the end of the stub.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I often bring my (neutered) cats with me when I visit my parents for a weekend, and one of the local cats always seems to sense when they are there and sits on my parent's kitchen windowsill peering in at them. He never does this when my cats aren't visiting. I think he just wants to protect "his" territory from these visitors.

If you got your cat recently, maybe the tom cat has become aware there is another cat on his territory and wants to check it out. It could even be that he can smell cat food and is trying to get in for a decent meal!

So it may not be that your cat is in heat at all. In fact, I think its usually quite obvious when a female cat is in heat because she will keep you awake all night howling and calling! :D She'll also go around rubbing her body against everything and sticking her bum up in the air!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

MsFifers wrote: »
    I often bring my (neutered) cats with me when I visit my parents for a weekend, and one of the local cats always seems to sense when they are there and sits on my parent's kitchen windowsill peering in at them. He never does this when my cats aren't visiting. I think he just wants to protect "his" territory from these visitors.

If you got your cat recently, maybe the tom cat has become aware there is another cat on his territory and wants to check it out. It could even be that he can smell cat food and is trying to get in for a decent meal!

So it may not be that your cat is in heat at all. In fact, I think its usually quite obvious when a female cat is in heat because she will keep you awake all night howling and calling! :D She'll also go around rubbing her body against everything and sticking her bum up in the air!

The tom cat isn't looking for food I used to feed him and when I got my cat he stopped being interested in the food. I was feeding him one day and my cat came down (she could smell the cheap food) I kept an eye on them to make sure they wouldn't fight, my cat is happy as long as any dogs/cats don't get too close but, the tom cat wasn't interested in fighting. He was smelling her and even tried to bite the back of her neck and get up on her.
    I didn't think he would be interested in her if she was neutered ie lack of hormones/pheromones.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

My cat showed no signs of being in heat whatsoever, some females just don't weirdly.

However if his interest has been continuous for longer than a few days it's unlikely to be her in heat, females only go into heat for a few days and then have a break of a few weeks if not impregnated.

His trying to bite her neck and get on her could be a dominance thing, some cats assert their dominance in that way.

That said it could very well be that she's unneutered too, no idea how you'd find out though... x-ray maybe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement