Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid question

Options
  • 20-08-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is going to sound stupid, but I recently broke up with my boyfriend. We were seeing each other for just under a year. Do I give all his stuff back, including gifts or just what is actually his? I've never had to do this before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭VaioCruiser

Not gifts. Only what is clearly his. Don't make him collect it. Wrap it in a box and drop it to his place, assuming you have broken up reasonably amicable.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Everything that is his not presents. Drop his stuff to his house when he is at work\college etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

give him his stuff back - only give the presents back if you want, say if you don't want them cos they remind you of him.

Don't drop stuff over to his house when he is out at work or college as suggested.
    Cos stuff can get lost and unless you hand it back to him directly it may lead to complications later if he accuses you of hanging on to stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

No you never give backpresent she gave you. If he asks for them maybe but I doubt he would.

Would you expect the things you bought him returned?

Box his own things and get him to collect them. you aren't his slave.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP here, just one thing, it wasn't an amicable breakup, we ended breaking up over txt and he was very pissed off. We don't have mutual friends and as strange as it sounds I was never round at his house so I'm not sure of his exact address. Would it be acceptable to wait for him to ask for the stuff or can I wait a couple of months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I would box the stuff straight away - if he comes looking for them they should be ready to go. Personally I would be inclined to give them back as soon as possible (having his stuff lying about is not going to help you in moving on) but I suppose you could wait a few weeks if you want to let the emotions settle first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

A simple text stating that you are wondering what to do with his belongings would strike me as the adult approach. If he cares enough to want his stuff back, he'll reply.

Advertisement