Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THX BLUE FILTER OPTIMIZER GLASSES

Options
  • 20-08-2009 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I came across this article on calibrating HD tv's and it reminded me of the THX optimiser that came with a Toy Story DVD (1 or 2, can't remember which)

http://gizmodo.com/5340887/less-than-a-third-of-you-accurately-adjusted-your-hdtv-settings

I was tempted to buy a pair of the blue filtered THX glasses at $1.99 until I saw the shipping charges of $70.

Has anyone used these glasses to calibrate their picture? Did you find it made any difference to the ordinary (non-THX filtered glasses) calibration?

Does anyone know where to get these glasses without the extortionate shipping charges? I've looked on ebay etc but it seems to be an official THX supplier product only.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭quiche

No luck on finding these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭quiche

This DVD from play comes with blue, red and green filters too (I think):

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/121810/Digital-Video-Essentials/Product.html

Which will also do the calibration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Not yet, well not for a reasonable price anyway. Going to keep an eye on the auction sites and so on. That link to play looks interesting, reminds me of a calibration system called a spyder I saw ages ago. Something like this but for HD TV's instead of monitors... Still, a pair of cheap glasses would be good enough for my eyes I reckon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spyder-3-Pro-PC-Mac/dp/B000X4X37A/ref=sr_1_1/280-3890437-5216525?ie=UTF8&qid=1251914739&sr=8-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

cdb wrote: »
    I was tempted to buy a pair of the blue filtered THX glasses at $1.99 until I saw the shipping charges of $70.

$70? Do you mean $7?

No, surprisingly enough shipping started at $70 and worked its way up. Check it out.

• Advertisement

No, surprisingly enough shipping started at $70 and worked its way up. Check it out.

You're right! $63 when I checked. However I mailed them and I got a reply stating when I actually proceed with my order I'll get a new invoice with shipping and handling that'll only be between $5-$10.
    I haven't chanced it yet, not sure if I want to risk it! Although I can't find the glasses on e-bay, so I may risk it! I guess seeing as I got a reply from them and THX aren't exactly scam artists, I may risk it!

Good stuff Biro, I didn't get a reply yet myself.

If anyone else on here is interested what about doing a joint order?
    Maybe get an expression of interest and a committment to buy a pair from people (maybe aPaypal deposit) then I could get say 10 pairs and divide the total order by 10. Add a nominal 2 euros or something for local shipping and it could work out quite reasonable that way. What do you reckon.

If we're not in any rush lets see how many replies we get by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Free Glasses from What Hifi Mag.

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Free Glasses from What Hifi Mag.

Thats excellent Eddiem, I visit the Whathifi website quite a bit but rarely buy the magazine. This time it will be like getting the magazine for free with the THX glasses. Thanks for posting it.

• Advertisement

Thats excellent Eddiem, I visit the Whathifi website quite a bit but rarely buy the magazine. This time it will be like getting the magazine for free with the THX glasses. Thanks for posting it.

Mine arrived this week, just over €6 on the credit card. I assume the magazine is more expensive than that, so I'm not too disappointed that I missed this offer!! THat article says there is no UK spec blu-ray that has the optimiser, but that's not true - the special limited edition T2 blu-ray has it!

Well you can't go wrong at that price. Will you post back when you've had a chance to use the glasses to calibrate the TV. It would be interesting to hear what the picture quality is like and if it makes much difference.

Advertisement