Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthur's Day: A heads up to all you Guinness drinkers

Options
  • 20-08-2009 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Listen, I found this whole thing suspect from the beginning, it smacked of empty soulless PR, you know the kind we're all well used to by now and no longer even really registers... but I was confirmed in my suspicions only last week!
    Drinking over here in London we met this girl from Sligo, said she hoped we'd be part taking in Arthur's day. Well she wasn't bad looking and you know, you'd say anything, but she followed it up by telling us she worked for Saatchi over here and was part of the team that dreamed up the whole thing. Loses some of its appeal then doesn't it? Whole load of media types sitting around a boardroom 'brainstorming' in prada suits about creating another Paddy's day to sell a tonne of the black stuff.
    I propose everyone drink themselves ill on the 23rd and don;t touch a drop the next day... What I'll be doing anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Mr Hyde wrote: »
    Listen, I found this whole thing suspect from the beginning, it smacked of empty soulless PR, you know the kind we're all well used to by now and no longer even really registers... but I was confirmed in my suspicions only last week!
    Drinking over here in London we met this girl from Sligo, said she hoped we'd be part taking in Arthur's day. Well she wasn't bad looking and you know, you'd say anything, but she followed it up by telling us she worked for Saatchi over here and was part of the team that dreamed up the whole thing. Loses some of its appeal then doesn't it? Whole load of media types sitting around a boardroom 'brainstorming' in prada suits about creating another Paddy's day to sell a tonne of the black stuff.
    I propose everyone drink themselves ill on the 23rd and don;t touch a drop the next day... What I'll be doing anyway.

And drinking it... whats wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mr Hyde

It'll keep to the next day trust me. It's just the cold, calculation behind what's being put over as a good oul thing. Just gets to me is all. I guess I'm alone in this...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I'd have no problem drinking it if it was actually possilble to get a decent pint of Guinness.

I think it's a pipe dream tho, it generally tastes ****e no matter where you buy it, 'cept for the dubliner pub in copenhagen where I got the nicest pint of guinness ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I'm happy enough to jump onto the "any excuse to get pissed" bandwagon to be honest.

And If that leaves me a brainless consuming slave to the wills of heartless drinks companies advertisement executives...
    So be it..

Sláinte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Oh my god, Guinness being pimped out like a corporate whore.

Arthur Guinness was the original brand aware marketing bully boy. Diageo are just continuing his legacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I think they made that advertisement on PURPOSE! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Are you alone?

Think you are on this one buddy.

Most of us see through these marketing exercises, which are much like Mother's Day Father's day etc.

Artificial events set up by commercial interests to try to promote a feeling of guilt if you don't take part or acknowledge.

I hope you didn't think they were promoting this for the good of the consumer?

You see it's like the top golf clubs charging over two hundred Euro for a round happy in the knowledge that there will be enough weak willed goons out there who will pay it and actually think it good value.:eek:

It's about consumer awareness and an avoidance of the lemming mentality and the balls to say "Sorry buddy, Arthur's day me nut brown bollix" if i want to drink Guinness I'll drink it,but i won't be horsed into some Arthur's day shíte. GTF!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

It'll keep to the next day trust me. It's just the cold, calculation behind what's being put over as a good oul thing. Just gets to me is all. I guess I'm alone in this...

ALL promotions are planned, they don't just happen by accident!:rolleyes:
    Someone somewhere has to get the ball rolling (often with just the tiniest little idea) before it comes together. And this one does sound like a good oul thing, fair play to the planning team.
    Don't be a sour oul git and get out to the pub on the 24th and get yourself a lovely creamy pint of the black stuff to remember Arthur:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

People won't be drinking much of it if the price of buying a pint is too high!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

tallus wrote: »
    I'd have no problem drinking it if it was actually possilble to get a decent pint of Guinness.

I think it's a pipe dream tho, it generally tastes ****e no matter where you buy it, 'cept for the dubliner pub in copenhagen where I got the nicest pint of guinness ever.

You are drinking in the wrong places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I know plenty of idiots who refuse to drink a beer unless it is heavily advertised. Usually these drinks are piss poor quality, but hey "I seen it on da telly, it must be good, how could that cheap stuff be nice". :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

rubadub wrote: »
    I know plenty of idiots who refuse to drink a beer unless it is heavily advertised. Usually these drinks are piss poor quality, but hey "I seen it on da telly, it must be good, how could that cheap stuff be nice". :rolleyes:

So depressingly true. :(

Of course its a promotion. Jeasus, even an idiot could see this.
    Its just another gimmick to get you to get to a bar and part more with your money.
    Nothing less.

Go to a bar any time and enjoy yourself.
    OP, you don't need ideas like this latest gimmick promotion to give you further reason to frequent a bar.
    If folk do have to find a reason and use one such as this promo, its a sad life indeed they lead. :(

Go when YOU want to go, not when the advertisements say you can! Stop being sheep to be led for crying out loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Whole load of media types sitting around a boardroom 'brainstorming' in prada suits about creating another Paddy's day to sell a tonne of the black stuff.

Did you know her suit was Prada by just looking at it?

AH: I believe we have a Fifth-Columnist in our midst.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

stovelid wrote: »
    AH: I believe we have a Fifth-Columnist in our midst.
    KILL IT NOE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

What?? Arthurs Day is part of our hertiage. I remember as a young lad my granddad would always taken my along to the Arthur's Day celebrations just as his grandad had done with him. Its part of who are.

Happy Arthurs Day everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

tallus wrote: »

Are you serious? What about the dragon in the village. Very very nice pint of guinness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Scien wrote: »
    ...Shhessh, theres no cynicism like Irsh cynicism.

Shush you. ;)
    At least it's IRISH cynicism - unlike Guinness which is actually foreign owned! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

rubadub wrote: »

Exactly, if they never heard of it it must be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Arthur and i are great friends, he sent me a birthday card with a voucher for a few free cans. It actually arrived on the day my mams didnt even arrive till a day later. So i think he'd be highly offended if i didn't do something for his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sure Paddy's day was probably drempt up by some medival stall owner to sell more fake snakes or shepaprds crooks or something...

Why not go for it, if it turns out to be popular enough we may even get another bank holiday out of it in a couple of years:D

Advertisement