Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowers or Not

Options
  • 20-08-2009 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been texting and talking to a girl over the phone that I met through internet dating for about two months.We plan to meet in a couple of weeks time.She has an exam coming up soon that she is pretty worried about and i was thinking of sending flowers to her place of work to wish her good luck.

is this a big no no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I see no harm in sending them dude

What a lovely gesture! Definitely would be a "yes yes" for me :)

I will say though that some people can be uncomfortable with their private life coming into their place of work, so think about what you know of this girl and her job and choose wisely. If you have any doubts, a nice card will do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Just send her a card. Might be a bit more discreet

hi OP here.I think i might send them.I don't think she'd feel uncomfortable receiving them and anyway it's purely a good luck gesture.Thought it would be weird asking for her address though so thats why i thought of sending them to her workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lovelyjaws

don't do it!you might embarass the girl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I'd definitely go with the Good Luck card idea. Bit more understated. Keep the flowers for when you meet her in person. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Lovelyjaws wrote: »
    don't do it!you might embarass the girl

Fortune favours the brave, do it!

Either way, she'll never forget it. :)

Send them .... you have nothing to loose.

I wish there were more men like you in the world. You sound like a sweetheart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Do it. Even if she is slightly embarassed, she can hardly fault a guy for sending her flowers - it's an age old romantic tradition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭VaioCruiser

I have been texting and talking to a girl over the phone that I met through internet dating for about two months.We plan to meet in a couple of weeks time.She has an exam coming up soon that she is pretty worried about and i was thinking of sending flowers to her place of work to wish her good luck.

is this a big no no?

Imho it's not a no no - but it is premature...

Firstly why on earth have you been texting and emailing for two months before meeting ? This sounds very odd to me.

I would suggest that flowers is a lovely IDEA, but it would be a bit too much at this stage of such a tentative relationship.

Send her a nice 'good wishes 'text on the morning of her exams and it will keep things on a nice positive level for the upcoming date.

All the best with the date.

• Advertisement

I think a card would be the best thing. You might scare her off by sending flowers at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

flowers are lovely but maybe not to where she works but to her home as she may not have told anyone about you and it would put her in an embarrassing situation if she had to explain everthing to workmates.

Def Flowers but just not to work.

Lovely gesture and fair play to you.

You are a dying breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Coming from a romantic sap here OP who thinks some men don't realise how much us women love flowers, even if it seems like a cliche....DON'T send them. As said above, how come you haven't met her yet?? Seems full on to send flowers to a person you haven't actually met in person...and to her work place!! How would she explain THAT one to the girls (who can be nosy for a bit of gossip to while away boring hours at work). I'd be a little turned off someone who's so eager from only phone conversations...I would smell a slight whiff of desperation (and I'm not saying you are at all...your heart is in the right place). I'd send her a card and save the flowers for your first meeting.

Hi OP here again.Well we have been slow to meet because she has kind of lost confidence after a bad break up and thought that I wouldn't like her.I just said that I would meet whenever she was ready.

The reason I was thinking of sending them to her workplace is because I know what days she works there and it's a well known place in her town so there would be no problems for the delivery person.Thought it would be weird asking her for her home address or attempting to find it myself...super weird.

To me it is purely a good luck gesture but at the back of my mind I think she might think I'm coming on too strong especially since we haven't met.Some people have made good points about her being embarassed and explanations to nosey colleagues too.She has only told one friend about me and I wouldn't like to make her feel uncomfortable.

I have yet to see a woman unhappy after receiving flowers though.I'm in two minds now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If it's a small bouquet I think it might be ok to send it to work. Something that just says "Good Luck & Thinking of You" with your initials.

That way she doesn't have to explain who they're from to anyone since it doesn't have your name. And a small bouquet would be very sweet, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭VaioCruiser

You are right in principle about girls and flowers ... just not in this specific circumstance.

However as I say that I would add that imho flowers are best handed over in person. Work has all kinds of other politics and issues connected with it and I would never send flowers to a workplace.

All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

I have yet to see a woman unhappy after receiving flowers though.I'm in two minds now.

And this sentence is one of the reasons that I personally hate getting flowers.

OP, women are not all the same - trying a one size fits all approach won't get you very far, tbh.

If I was the girl in question, I'd probably be mortified to receive them at work where everyone and his dog could see them and ask me about them. And I'm not the only one of my friends who feels like this. If you really want to send her something, then something discreet like a card should do it.

OP here.I'm not suggesting all women are the same...that's why I'm looking for opinions.I'm just saying that from what I've seen women seem to appreciate flowers.I just think this girl likes kind gestures and would appreciate it but was just wondering if people thought flowers were OTT.Pretty mixed reactions so far

OP here
    Xiney wrote: »
    If it's a small bouquet I think it might be ok to send it to work. Something that just says "Good Luck & Thinking of You" with your initials.

That way she doesn't have to explain who they're from to anyone since it doesn't have your name. And a small bouquet would be very sweet, I think.

This is what i was thinking Initially.Last thing I want to do is embarass this girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

OP here

Last thing I want to do is embarass this girl.

Then don't send them!
    As much of a lovely gesture as it is, she may well be very embarrassed trying to explain them to her work colleagues which could ultimately turn what may be a potential relationship to dead in the water before you even meet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement