Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to decide: kitty kennel or stay at home with visiting friend to feed them

Options
  • 20-08-2009 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

We thought it might be best to ask you guys on boards.ie to decide what to do. We're going away for 10 days (it's a work conference/trying-to-make-a-holiday-out-of-it thing); and we're trying to decide what is the best care option.

The situation: We have 2 indoor kitties. They're not high maintenance, but they do require 15-20 mins of play each day, minimum. This is an estimate. It's usually in the morning and in the evening. And they have to be fed two times a day. And litter scooped 2 times a day... People understand needing to walk a dog, but cats need play time too. I work from home too, so I guess they are used to a certain amount of interaction.

So! We have two options:

1) Bring them to a cattery at the vet's where they'll be in a cage most of the time. We're told they get taken out to play if there is time/space.

2) Our friend who is currently out of work would come feed them two times a day. BUT he's allergic to cats, the poor dote. He's a great friend and said he'd come 2x a day to feed & scoop litter...

But he can't actually play with them, and I can't imagine asking him as he's not exactly a cat-lover.

We thought #2 was the best option because they'd be home, have lots of space... but we started getting worried. The cats get weary and you know they need to play because they go over to the toy-spot and pick things out, and they meow and generally let you know IT'S PLAY TIME NOW, STOP THAT DUMB COMPUTER STUFF, YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH ME NOW, OMG LOOK AT HOW CUTE I AM, CAN YOU STAND IT.

You can clearly see here: No, you are NOT working

3828412606_62c20d7a47.jpg

Anyone have any opinions?

I just can't bear the thought of them in a cage for 10 days, but at least they'd see some interaction and people around. Which way should we go?

Cost wise it would be about the same, as we'd like to pay our friend for his time (and considering he could use the cash too).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I dunno . . . personally, I'd still opt for the home option. They like familiar surroundings, especially since their owners will be away for several days. They'll have their toys, and even if your visiting friend can't play with them because of him allergies, they'll have each other -- whereas at the kennel I'm assuming they'll be separated.

I'd leave them where you would be (and where you think they will be) more comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye I agree- leave them where you feel most comfortable. Also you said they'll only be let out to play if there's time whereas at home they can run around and play with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Although option 2 sounds nice, check can he do it okay: bring him around, and let him do stuff. No use in getting a phone call 3 days into the holiday from the friend saying he can't do it anymore, and having to come home to (hopefully) find a space at the cattery at very short notice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clofty

Hi, your cat is fab. Such a 'you will obey me now' look on his face - gas.

When we go away our two go to a cattery, but I know if I had the choice I would leave them at home (but I don't have anyone that could check in on them). As nice as the cattery is, it's not home.

They will be grand in the house with eachother for company. Sure even if your friend is only calling in to feed them and change litter at least it is a routine for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Option #2 for me. He can still play with them without necessarily having to touch them i.e drag a string along the floor,roll little toy balls etc. Id much prefer the option of leaving them to roam around the house for 10days rather than a cage for that length of time. They'll be grand :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Option 2.

Which option do you think your cats would prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Definitely don't leave them in a cage at the vets. They would be extremely cooped up for 10 days, and they may get very stressed by all the coming & going and animals crying etc (Every vets I've ever been in has a dog in the back howling or whimpering!) I really doubt the vet staff would be able to let them out of their cage very often.

If your friend is unemployed he might be delighted with a few extra bob and something to do during the day. Give him some money too for some anti-histamines in case his allergy flares up. :)

If you had a back up person who could help out too in case your friend finds it too much that would help you feel better I'm sure.

Failing that, why not look into an option of a proper cattery? At least the cats have a little bit more space and are usually in quiet locations, so that cats wouldn't be as stressed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

I can let you know of a really nice cattery if you want to PM me. Not sure where you are based but if you can get there definitely recommend it . Would nearly have moved in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

IF it were me Id leave the cats at home.
    I recently went on hols and left my then 11 week old kitten, Socks, at home with a friend who I live with and my lil brother came down every day to play with her.
    She got lots of attention and didnt have to be crammed up all day in a cage.
    And even when there was no one around she was quite happy to snuggle up on my bed and go for a nap.
    It was better for her and better for us.
    And even better the day we came home when we brought another lil kitten charlotte home to be her sister. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

my vote also goes for keeping them at home
    Less stressful on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Good point by MsFifers - get your friend to take something like Piriton and he should be ok.
    We were away for three weeks and left our two rascals at home. My wife's mum and dad called around every day to top up their water, feed them, play with them and clean out the litter.
    We allow the cats access to all the rooms anyway during the day apart from the living room so they were content enough.
    I hate the thought of cats being in large cages/runs for extended periods of time, even if they have each other for company. Hence why we didn't send ours away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Again plus one to them being home.

I'm currently away from home, and my five beasties are under the care of a daily feeder - family member - who I'm paying to feed and water them and hang out with them for a while.

I've then hired a professional cleaning company to do the litter trays in their entirety a few times while we're away. I use enormous trays, one per cat, with litter about four inches deep, so I don't pick out poos every day - which is a life saver because it means the moggies don't have a problem using a slightly soiled tray for a couple of days.

It also means my feeder may be happier to do it a second time - all the good stuff, food, love, miaows because he's got the food - and none of the crap...

Advertisement