Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be commuting or renting?

Options
  • 19-08-2009 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

:)

It appears I'll be living on campus. Quick question - I live within commuting distance of my college (about an hour 15 min to an hour 30 min) but I have 2 younger siblings. I'll be studying medicine and all during my Leaving my mam had to take them out of the house to let me study, so obviously I wouldn't be able to study medicine with them running around the place. But I'm freakin' scared. I'm guessing that's normal and will settle off, though? I suppose this isn't really a question, more of just a worried rant type thing...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

cGirl wrote: »
    :)

It appears I'll be living on campus. Quick question - I live within commuting distance of my college (about an hour 15 min to an hour 30 min) but I have 2 younger siblings. I'll be studying medicine and all during my Leaving my mam had to take them out of the house to let me study, so obviously I wouldn't be able to study medicine with them running around the place. But I'm freakin' scared. I'm guessing that's normal and will settle off, though? I suppose this isn't really a question, more of just a worried rant type thing...
    Apart from the difficulties of studying at home with 2 younger siblings running around (and presuming you don't want them to grow up hating you!! :pac:), the alternative is to spend 2.5 to 3 hours a day commuting, which is a tough number with any course, but especially medicine.

Yes, it's perfectly normal to be a bit nervous, about the whole college thing as well as specifically about moving out, but if you will be living in campus accommodation you'll soon get to know plenty of people in the same situation as yourself, and your nerves will soon be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'll be commuting for this year anyway and see how it goes. I got a car and I'm going to damn well use it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

commuting all the way for me - 300 miles + per week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

I live about 20 minutes away from the college so I will be commuting :)

I can totally understand your nervousness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

Commuting. I'll be moving up to some family I have in Dublin for the first few months at least, maybe a year. After that I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Commutting by bus every day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Commuting by train and bus. But it really depends, I can take a long train there or 2 bus journeys.
    I'd love to move closer to the college and out of my family's house, but I can at least get a lie on of sorts on the transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

2 minute walk, weehaay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Oim gettin' the bus ta collidge.

Keeping my part time job so I can save up for rent next year :) Only thing I'm worried about is going out in Dublin will be a bit awkward. Does anyone here know of any places that stay open all night so I can wait for my bus at 7 in the morning after a night of drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i'll be commuting.get the dart from howth junction to connolly and then a 5 minute walk to nci

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Howth to Pearce and then 'bout 10 mins walk to Aungier St. Although I never went to any open days so will probably have to go on a trial run :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Renting,Well living in Digs for thr first year,Journey would be about 240km a day!:eek:

So no other option really :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

commuting... gotta get one of those monthly student bus tickets... i figured out it's going to save me a fair amount a month
    2 x €3.50 a day for the bus is 35 a week, so for a month it would be €140, while the monthly bus ticket is €75. All in all, more drink money.

Oneart, where abouts in dublin are you? check the dublinbus website for the nitelink services, costs €5. downside is it's only friday and saturday. There could be other nitelink services but I'm not sure, only other one I know about is the finnegans one to bray/greystones.

kateos2 wrote: »
    commuting... gotta get one of those monthly student bus tickets... i figured out it's going to save me a fair amount a month
    2 x €3.50 a day for the bus is 35 a week, so for a month it would be €140, while the monthly bus ticket is €75. All in all, more drink money.

Oneart, where abouts in dublin are you? check the dublinbus website for the nitelink services, costs €5. downside is it's only friday and saturday. There could be other nitelink services but I'm not sure, only other one I know about is the finnegans one to bray/greystones.

I actually live in Meath, near Drogheda. There's a nitelink to Drogheda but its like 10 euro per trip + a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Dante

I'll be commuting a whole 30 mins from Portmarnock to Trinity....lifes a struggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

apartment beside merrion square, 2 mins to TCD...ooh yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Didnt know where to put this, so here it is, if I do a PLC course in waterford, do you guys in WIT know if ill be allowed into that dome thing to watch like soccer matches with mates who went to WIT?
    Am I allowed on WIT campus basically?

Also, can I rent a house on WIT campus there, even if im doing the PLC a few miles away? Like get the bus to and fro.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Monthly bus ticket for me. Even that will be with money i don't have, so glad i dont have to find accommodation.

I'll be renting. I've an apartment on Eustace Street, just off Temple Bar. So I've a 5 min walk to Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'll probably cycle to UCD, if I get TCD :mad: I'll take the DART, I live closer to UCD, but TCD is actually easier too get to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Commuting for me too. Not the worst though, Just over 15 miles away from UCC for me. Planning on gettin a car pool set up with a mate of mine too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

OneArt wrote: »
    Oim gettin' the bus ta collidge.

Keeping my part time job so I can save up for rent next year :) Only thing I'm worried about is going out in Dublin will be a bit awkward. Does anyone here know of any places that stay open all night so I can wait for my bus at 7 in the morning after a night of drinking?

Not exactly what you asked, but there's a few internet cafes which open all night. There's one in particular that has some very big and comfortable chairs. I remember ending up there one night on boards and then I eventually fell asleep. Tis a great place.
    apartment beside merrion square, 2 mins to TCD...ooh yeah!
    I'll be renting. I've an apartment on Eustace Street, just off Temple Bar. So I've a 5 min walk to Trinity.

Lucky. :(

I'll be either cycling from Tallaght or just getting the bus/luas. Probably a mix really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

BlueSpiral wrote: »
    Commuting by train and bus. But it really depends, I can take a long train there or 2 bus journeys.
    I'd love to move closer to the college and out of my family's house, but I can at least get a lie on of sorts on the transport.
    You would be more likely to get a bit of work done on the train (if you're not asleep! :D) than on the bus.

Obviously need to work the maths though, and see if there's a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

live 20 mins from ucd, will get a lift(my very kind bf:D)
    then i will apply for my test and get back to driving again:)

Futurism wrote: »
    Not exactly what you asked, but there's a few internet cafes which open all night. There's one in particular that has some very big and comfortable chairs. I remember ending up there one night on boards and then I eventually fell asleep. Tis a great place.

Is that the one near Jervis? Or am I thinking about the bean-bags...? Meh, as long as its somewhere safe I can park my drunken self for two hours :P Thanks.

Advertisement