Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hav ta repeat ovr 10 points :(

Options
  • 19-08-2009 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

"Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knows about repeating the Leaving Cert.

I was 10 points short of getting into my course but I did well otherwise, so I don't wanna repeat all over again. So I was just wondering if I could do one subject and carry the points over for next year.

Anyone know if that's possible?

Comments

[backseat modding]There's no text speak allowed[/backseat modding]

Unfortunately, you can't carry points over from different sittings of the Leaving Cert. You can only use your points total from one sitting, not multiple sittings. You can, however, mix and match requirements (a particular grade in a subject, for example) from different sittings of the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I hope you didnt write like that in your exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

No, not possible. All your requirements have to come from one sitting and all your points from one. So you can get your Eng, Irish, Maths and any other requirement in one sitting and your points from 6 subjects, the same or different, in another. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Damien671

you might still get the course on the second round, maybe get some exams rechecked

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

hya...

i wz jus wundrn if ny1 nw bou repeatin d leavin...

i wz 10 points short ov gtn in2 my course bt i dun wel odrwise so i dnt wna repeat al ovr agn so i wz wundrn if i cud do 1 subject and carry d points ovr 4 nxt year...

ny1 no if dats possible
    Dear sweet galloping gumdrops, mine eyes, they bleed!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

No txtspit please!!!

Krissy, I haven't a clue what you said, except it's something about 10 points and repeating.

If anyone wanted to do a translation, I'll edit it into the first post?
    [backseat modding]
    None of that either! :p

• Advertisement

A translation for you Randy:

Hey...

I was just pondering over the consequences of repeating my Leaving Cert., and it struck me that users on Boards might have some useful advice, so, might I ask, do you? I shall explain my situation to you now:

Unfortunately, I was just 10 points short of getting into my first choice course, but, unsurprisingly to myself, I've actually done quite well in my Leaving Cert., bar this minor hiccup, of course. Because I've done quite well, I don't really want to repeat my Leaving Cert., well, specifically, I don't want to repeat all of my subjects. So, the thought struck me: would it be possible for me to just do one -- and only one -- subject this year, and add the result, in points, to the result that I've achieved this year? How wonderful that would be.

Thank you.
    None of that either! :p

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Original post duly edited. (Alternatively, read -JammyDodger-'s more.....eh....verbose version!)

Unfortunately krissy you can't do just carry your points over from last year and add on another subject. However, if you missed your course by just 10 points, there's a chance you may get it in the 2nd round offers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Original post duly edited. (Alternatively, read -JammyDodger-'s more.....eh....verbose version!)
    Ah, I quite liked Jammy's version, apart from his surprising inability to spell unsurprisingly!
    Unfortunately krissy you can't do just carry your points over from last year and add on another subject.

Correct ... however, to the best of my knowledge, you can satisfy matriculation requirements for university from one year's results, and count another year for points.

So, for example ... if one of the required subjects like Irish or Maths are not your favourite subjects or you find them difficult, and you don't think you'll improve your points by repeating them, you could choose to leave them aside provided you have already passed them / met the matriculation requirements, and repeat another subject instead.

All your points must come from one year's sitting of the LC however, so presumably you would want to do 6 subjects at least to maximise your chances.

*NOTE: this doesn't apply to medicine by the way, where you must satisfy all requirements in the same year, apparently.

Mine is better... :p
    Ah, I quite liked Jammy's version, apart from his surprising inability to spell unsurprisingly!

That's one of the only words which I can never spell! It doesn't matter how many times I see the correct spelling, it just doesn't commit itself to my memory...[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Is it possible to do this; If I needed a B1 in maths for example, and I got a D1 in maths this year, but had the other requirement of 2 HC3's and well over the points required, can I just repeat maths this coming year, i.e. june 2010, and if I get the B1, can I just use that instead of the maths grade I got this year, but still keep the points I got and the 2 HC3's?

Get what I mean?

• Advertisement

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Is it possible to do this; If I needed a B1 in maths for example, and I got a D1 in maths this year, but had the other requirement of 2 HC3's and well over the points required, can I just repeat maths this coming year, i.e. june 2010, and if I get the B1, can I just use that instead of the maths grade I got this year, but still keep the points I got and the 2 HC3's?

Get what I mean?

Yah, I get you. And yes, that's possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Cyberwaste, yes you can do that. But you cant count the B in maths as points instead of the D.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I missed out by 10 points when I did the Leaving in 2007, went back and repeated and did better by 65 points and my course went up another 10 points. I was glad I had the extra 65 in the bag. You can't tell if your course is going to stay at the same points so you would really have to be confident in going up in Maths. 'Tis dodgy...

It's a quick year and by far the best year I had in school!

Advertisement