Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question- After operation treatment

Options
  • 19-08-2009 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

My dog got neutered today. He had to get a cone put on his head because he kept at the stitches. The vet said I could take it off him when I'm around because I can distract him but as soon as the collar is off he goes straight for it no matter how much I play with him. Shall I just leave the collar on? Is that okay for him to sleep in? And how long should I leave it on for?
    Also whats the best place to let him sleep? He usually sleeps at the end of my bed?
    Last question is it okay for him to be left out in the back yard during the day while I'm out or should I keep him indoors he is never left alone in the house because he gets distressed and bored and also distructive?
    Thanks for your help :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My dog Lily had to have a cone after her dew claw was removed (she was goin nuts at it).
    We used to take it off for breaks when we were around, and if we weren't watching her like a hawk she'd go at the paw again.
    We hated letting her sleep in it but we had to, to let her paw heal. Just becareful with him jumping or going up and down steps etc. Lily had trouble with that. And bless it was hard for her to eat her food! (we had to be very strict for the first day or two, as her paw was already in bits from her gnawing).

Should be ok to leave him outside, just make sure the areas clean, nothing much to snag his collar on, or places he might try to get through and get stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Rogan

That's gas - my dog was neutered yesterday and had a back dew claw removed at the same time - the dew claw hung from a piece of skin like a finger and was always being knocked.

He has a cone on - he was in an awful state with the cone yesterday - totally disorientated. But today he is much more comfortable with it.

He is wearing it 24 hours a day - I just know the second it would come off he would go for the wounds. He's sleeping grand with it.

The vet says he is to leave it on for 10 days until the stitches come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

Okay thanks for the help :D
    Yeah he seems alright now. Not looking forward to giving him the tablet tomorrow morning! He is really fussy :D
    Oh and he wont go outside to go toilet now unless I stand out with him. Maybe hes worried he will end up in the vet again ;]

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

As mentioned, don't leave him alone without the collar on him.
    He will be fine sleeping with it on.
    Where did he sleep last night? Some dogs find it hard to adjust to the extra width of it. Others don't mind at all.

As star-pants says, make sure that there is nothing outside to catch it on and he'll be fine left outside.

Smear the tablet in butter and he should swallow it down no problem.

Good luck with him, he'll be right as rain in no time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

He slept in his usual spot and the bottom of my bed but he kept waking up and crying. But today he seems fine he was jumping around and everything :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement