Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

staff 9 mths old (new to me) some questions ?

Options
  • 19-08-2009 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all , has anyone any info plz have my staff almost 2 weeks now and shes such a pet loves snuggling on the couch etc but if i dont let her upstairs to sleep at the end of one of our beds ! she has the whole downstairs to herself !! she poos and wees everywhere , when i do she doesnt , i love her to bits but dont want her sleeping on my bed or the kids beds ?? what can i do ? i left her for 10 mins today and went to the shops and when i came back bearing in mind the back door was open she has peed upstairs in my bedroom ??? also what should i feed her she,s so fussy , tried all dog food dry and regular and ceasar seems to be all she will eat wit a small amount of dry mix , she also sleePS ALOT ! and doesnt even notice other dogs and i havnt heard her bark yet just one time when she spotted a football !! any advice appreciated very much , L

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Was she fully trained when you got her?
    Have you always given her the run of the house? Because you need to show the dog where she can and cannot go. I suggest not letting her upstairs at all (we have a makeshift block that we put up to stop our dogs getting upstairs when we don't want them to). When you left her on her own and went out, why didn't you put her outside? or at least in the kitchen or area near the back? It was only for a short time.

I would also consider maybe crate training at night? so she won't go everywhere.
    She'll pee on your bed because she's trying to get your attention, let you know she's not happy.

Dogs are like children, they'll eat what they like and turn up their nose at what's good for them. The dried food is usually a lot better, everyone has their preference, I have two Lhasas, ones on Royal Canine,the others on James Wellbeloved puppy food.
    You could look into each of them and see what's best for your breed. She will eat when she's hungry (sounds cruel) but if you put her food down and she turns away, leave it for 15-20mins, and then take it up. Put it back down a few hours later/dinner time, do the same again if you have to.
    You can also put a small small bit of codliver oil onto it for her coat and some dogs love the taste. They'll only be fussy if you let them.

Regarding barking, some dogs are just quiet, especially younger, we had a dog before for years and she almost never barked. So I wouldn't worry, does she cry/make noises? if so then I doubt she's anything wrong with her bark.

Makaikomi should come along with staffie info - he's got two himself and has lots of good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi all , has anyone any info plz have my staff almost 2 weeks now and shes such a pet loves snuggling on the couch etc but if i dont let her upstairs to sleep at the end of one of our beds ! she has the whole downstairs to herself !! she poos and wees everywhere , when i do she doesnt , i love her to bits but dont want her sleeping on my bed or the kids beds ?? what can i do ? i left her for 10 mins today and went to the shops and when i came back bearing in mind the back door was open she has peed upstairs in my bedroom ??? also what should i feed her she,s so fussy , tried all dog food dry and regular and ceasar seems to be all she will eat wit a small amount of dry mix , she also sleePS ALOT ! and doesnt even notice other dogs and i havnt heard her bark yet just one time when she spotted a football !! any advice appreciated very much , L

Hi, (glad you choose the best breed of dog in the world!).

I'm no expert on toilet training, my older guy just took to going outside naturally (he's a male) but Ruby - honestly sometimes I dispair!. She's refusing all efforts to get her toilet trained, and recently I've been wondering if its a female Staffy trait :(

As regards food. Mine love Royal Canin dry food (Kinsealy petstores usually have good offer on it).

If you Google Staff's you should come across some good staffy discussion forum, I'm a member of one or two and find them a great source of info - now if someone could give me tips on getting Ruby to use the garden!..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭swordsgal27

so much for the advice , my staffie is ruby aswell haha , yet again she slept upstairs last nigh and had a pee on the landing :mad:, i adopted her off dogs in distress was told she was fully house trained but seems ive a bit of wrk ahead of me , im disgusted at some people on my road tellingtheir kids they cant come into my house to play with mine anymore because my dog will " take there heads off" jesus i mean come on ive a 9 and 4 year old id hardly have a staffie if i thought they were vicious , and if she hasnt bitten my hyper 4 yr old son at this stage !!!! she deffo aint gonna ,i just cant bear coming down in the morning to 3 poos and a puddle of wee !!! aaaahh but cant put her out the back shes a hse dog without a doubt , she does lke, the garden tho its big and has 5 burst balls in it lol is every staffie ball obsessed !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

What time do you bring her out at night? She needs to be brought out to empty herself last thing before you go to bed. Does she tell you when she wants to go out? Best thing is to go back to first principals with her and start housetraining from scratch. That means bringing her out first thing, at regular intervals during the day and last thing at night and praising her when she goes outside. This will teach her that it's good to go outside as she's not familiar with your set up so how's she supposed to know where to go? The fact that she goes when you're not around could be a separation thing too so try to keep to a routine so that she knows what to expect.

Also getting her onto a good quality dry food will cut down on the amount of poo but you need to switch gradually as in mix a little into the Caeser and keep building up the amount of dry and reducing the amount of Caeser.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Without a doubt, crate training would work wonders for your peace of mind at night. It gets very tiring coming down stairs every morning to a filthy smelly floor doesn't it! Definately Definately Definately restrict her access to the rest of the house. There is no point having her up there, you will only make yourself miserable with worry about her peeing everywhere.

3 poos in a night sounds excessive even for a nonhouse trained dog. Make sure she is knackered going to bed tonight, put her out before bed and wait until she goes. She should sleep for a lot of the night. I would have thought most dogs would be too busy sleeping to have time for 3 poos a night. (Maybe I've just been very lucky).

Anywhere unfamiliar for them and they wont know where they are supposed to go. (I learned this the hard way: Harley had a poo on my sis-in-laws nice white floor when he was a few months old despite the fact the open door was only a few metres from him :o)

I'd also suggest a command that lets her know it's time to go. We tend to travel a lot with Harley so it's great to be able to stop on the side of a road, get him out, let him know why he is out and head on then with the minimum of fuss and time. Also great if you want an early night or change your routine slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i agree with makikomi the staffie is the best dog to have,my staffies have always gone to sleep on the bottom of my bed[not very good for your love life though] try to take her out at set times and reward her when she has her poo , staffies dont bark very much,i am sure you and your kids will love her very much,she should also be only fed at certain times. but that will be hard to do when she looks at you with them eyes ,and begs from the kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sorry I was rushed for a reply last night.

Soeone mentioned taking her out at night, that does work to a large extent (in my case) but there are still times when she'll do her business in the house regardless.

Don't give up on her!.

But tbh, I rarely find a poo waiting for me.

What are you feeding her, is it last at night and maybe upsetting her tummy?.

Staffies are hungry little whores, esp. a growing puppy so try restrict her diet to dry food and a small bit of water in the evening then get her out for a walk or run about 20 or 30 minutes later until she goes the loo.

As for your neighbours reactions, sadly thats something your going to have to get used to. I walk mine on Portmarnock beach daily and almost always go very early, or late in the evening when the beach is empty and let them run free the the good lord intended.

Oh, post up a photo and weldone on taking in a rescue (one of mine is a DiD rescue too).

Advertisement