Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Surf

Options
  • 19-08-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I've cought the surfing bug. Did it in delphi when i was 14/15, and always wanted to try it again. Had 1 lesson about a month ago with a bunch of lads from work in bundoran, and went last weekend again with 2 mates and got another 2 lessons, and ended up renting the grear ourselves by the last day.

I'm a complete beginer, live in leixlip, but I have a mate living in galway and wondering whats the best place for a couple of complete beginers to go for a couple days surfing. Need somewhere to rent suits and boards, the closer to galway city the better too.

Heard mention of fanore and false bay (probably not for us newbies). are there surf shops with rentals around these spots?

Any help appretiated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I'd say Lahinch is your best bet. there's a school in fanore, dunno if he does rentals. I think lahinch has the lot, it's only another 15minutes further down the coast than fanore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yep they do rentals in Fanore too. Beautiful spot, I prefer it to Lahinch although both have their strong/weak points. I'd suggest doing a search as there have been tons of threads on each.

No point in going anywhere near False Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

You probably should head to Lahinch, it has recently got 2 more guys to rent from and their boards are a lot nicer than the regular foamies, and all their gear is brand spankin new-Guy with the ginger/blond hair with the flags outside his van should sort you out.

Very competitive prices too, about time there was some more competition for the surf rentals there!!!- Way overpriced for what they were chargin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

whenever you guys going, count me in - got back to this a few weeks ago and can't wait to go again - this weekend windguru is saying achill should have good conditions so i'm thinking about driving up there - even if the conditions aren't the best, at least i would know what to expect the next time...

... if not, lahinch sounds ok to me - been there before a couple times - not too bad...

Advertisement