Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disk Check at Start up

Options
  • 19-08-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

My laptop keeps trying to run a disk check at start up for consistency. I dont think i have a virus. Does anyone know how to stop this disk check from occurring?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

If you are happy enough that there isnt an issue with your hdd you can disable chkdsk for a particular drive with the following command in the command prompt

chkntfs /x c:

(where c: is your drive letter so if you have 2 drives c & d then the command would be chkntfs /x c: d:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭deisedude

R3al wrote: »
    If you are happy enough that there isnt an issue with your hdd you can disable chkdsk for a particular drive with the following command in the command prompt

chkntfs /x c:

(where c: is your drive letter so if you have 2 drives c & d then the command would be chkntfs /x c: d:)

Thanks R3al. That worked perfectly:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 VaPz

I'm sorry if i'm wrong. But doesn't a chkdsk at startup mean there is inconsistencies with the hard drive. Maybe its best to let it run its check, and if it re-occurs the could potentially be something wrong with the hard drive or file system in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

VaPz wrote: »
    I'm sorry if i'm wrong. But doesn't a chkdsk at startup mean there is inconsistencies with the hard drive. Maybe its best to let it run its check, and if it re-occurs the could potentially be something wrong with the hard drive or file system in question.

True but an perfectly good HDD can end up with a corrupt registry entry that forces chkdsk to run on every bootup. Not that uncommon, I normally change it in the registry (can't remember where but googled and this looks like it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426 ) so chkdsk can still run if there is an issue later on.

Advertisement