Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition / Standard Edition

• 19-08-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

Hi there...

We've got a production server which, among other things, is our SQL Server. It's been running SQL 2000 Server Standard Edition ( SP3 ) since late 2004, with databases belonging to approx. 4 different applications on it.

We're now looking at replacing the server with a newer / faster server. We're planning to just replace the hardware first, and then in the future ( once the upgrade is done ) look at upgrading software ( like a newer version of SQL for example ).

So, I just realised today that our SQL 2000 Server Standard Edition CD can't be found anywhere. The only CD I can find is SQL 2000 Developer Edition. According to a few websites I've looked at, the only different between Developer Edition and other Editions is that Developer isn't licensed for Production Use, only for testing, but that it can be upgraded to 'Enterprise Edition' ( which has more features than Standard ).

So, here are my questions :

1. Does anyone know where I might be able to get my hands on a SQL 2000 Server Standard Edition CD?

2. If Developer Edition isn't licensed to run on a Production Server, does that mean it actually won't physically work ( running multiple databases with multiple users ) or that it will work but it's illegal?

3. Does anyone know how I can upgrade Developer Edition to Enterprise Edition?

4. If I can't find SQL 2000 Standard Edition, I think there are two later versions ( SQL 2005 and SQL 2008 ). How compatible are these with SQL 2000 ( i.e. will my SQL 2000 databases work with them )?

Thanks a lot!

J.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Hopefully of use:

Q1: Buy a copy on fleabay, perhaps, with your own keycode? Or any of your suppliers have a copy they can loan you?

Q2: AFAIK, Illegal to use Developer edition in a production environment.

Q3: Should be able to do this
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa176562(SQL.80).aspx

Q4: Should work fine, have done it in work with no probs.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks a lot for your replies.

The software company who originally sold us SQL and installed it for us ( and kept the CD ) are getting a copy to me, so I should be fine. Thanks...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Q4: Should work fine, have done it in work with no probs.
    although SQL2000->2005 upgrade wasn;t as bad as 7.5->2000 there are some depricated commands and DTS has changed.

you should test first if you intended to upgrade.

you should hold onto the CD and CD Key

Advertisement