Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for medicine as a mature student?

Options
  • 19-08-2009 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey all,

I'm looking to get some info on the application/interview process for applying for Medicine as a mature applicant to the Irish universities. I have a good LC (565 points) and a 1H degree/postgrad in engineering.

I'm 30 so I have 8+ years work experience but not in a medical-related field though and so I'm wondering if this is necessary or not?

Has anyone gone through this process? Any info/advice u have would be great!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shammie

Howdy wkwmni,

As a graduate with a 2:1 honours degree or higher you are only eligible to apply for Graduate Entry Medicine. That's a 4 year accelerated programme running in UCD, RCSI, UCC and UL. As far as I know the 5 year undergraduate programmes in TCD, UCD, UCC and NUI Galway do not accept applications for mature students (over 23) who would otherwise be eligible to apply for the Graduate Entry programme.

To apply for Graduate Entry Medicine you need to apply through the CAO, and take the GAMSAT exam in Dublin or London. Those who score highest on the GAMSAT get the places, there's no interview or other application to be done. More info on http://www.gamsat-ie.org/. It's a start there's lots more discussion on the Science > Biology and Medicine section of boards.ie

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 smileypony

Hi wkwmni,

I can confirm what shammie said-as you have a 2.1 or better in an undergrad degree you are only eligible to apply as a Graduate and not as a mature. Count yourself lucky, waaay more places on the graduate course than the mature places!! You will have to study for the GAMSAT but itll be worth it

Best o luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

I have a 2:2 degree (1 mark off a 2:1 and under NUI scoring as the college is now Id have a 2:1) and a crappy leaving cert.

If I applied as a mature student how much of my previous leaving cert is taken into account. Im going back to do Chemistry and Biology this year or do I have to do all of the leaving cert again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

ryoishin wrote: »
    I have a 2:2 degree (1 mark off a 2:1 and under NUI scoring as the college is now Id have a 2:1) and a crappy leaving cert.

If I applied as a mature student how much of my previous leaving cert is taken into account. Im going back to do Chemistry and Biology this year or do I have to do all of the leaving cert again?

Hi ryoishin,
    You don't need the full points qualifications (600 points) under the leaving cert as it's not based solely on your academic record.Your original leaving cert is taken for matriculation purposes (ie prove you passed maths English etc), and any qualifications after that are taken into account then, it also comes down to life experience, volunteer work, your personal statement and, if you're applying as an undergrad, your HPAT score.

Hey Jessiebell,

So I can still apply as an undergraduate even though I have a degree?

• Advertisement

Hi Ryoishin,
    Yep I can answer that one for you!-Yes can apply as an undergrad once you sit the HPAT in Feb and have 480 points + the matric requirements ie. maths etc, check with each college for these cause some differences between matric requirements.
    You could probly apply as a mature too assuming your over 23, need to sit the HPAT for mature entry too. Im in same boat, ie. a graduate but not eligible for GEM cause dont have a 2.1, im really thinking undergrad may be the way to go cause theres way more places than matures...

Hey smileypony,

Im 25! so does that mean I have to go the mature student route?

Howdy!
    Nope you can still apply as undergrad too if your 25! Im 26 and gonna apply as undergrad(did the LC in '00-now i feel old!) and as a mature. Ive been doing plenty of research and tbh mature places seem seriously thin on the ground and they look for a heap of work experience etc so Im thinking undergrad is going to be the better shot. Unless maybe if your degree is nursing or your working in the industry maybe mature will be the way to go??

So I can apply as an under grad if i have 450 points and have at least 2 science subjects even though I have a degree already and sit the HPAT?

To apply as a mature student I have to be over 23 with 2 science subjects, sit the HPAT and have a certain amount of life experience?

I have a crap leaving cert, cant remember the points but it was nt 450. I did it at 17 and did nt get why it was so important. At my old age of 25 Im a way better student and going back to do hons chem and biology this year. Not sure if it ll all add up to 450 points. I might have to do a few more subjects.

If you have any more info smileypony or some useful links etc id appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Hey lads,
    Just to let ye know, when you apply as a mature student you're automatically considered for undergrad application, it just means you may be called for interview, and that you don't need to need to have the full point requirement if you're selected on mature candiacy grounds. I think on the undergrad selection you have to meet the standards same as all other undergrads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Laoch'Rione

I'm trying to get into medicine too. Now I'm open to correction on these points but here's where I'm at.
    I have a shi'1t3 LC - hated school, teachers etc, ultimate rebellion (Not!), have about 30 odd FETAC modules (only 8 actually count in the end). I done different FETAC courses out of sheer boredom. I decided to get my act together and get to university pronto. I thought the many Distinctions in the FETAC awards might have helped, no such luck!

There is no such thing as mature entry to medicine in most colleges, tbh I don't know if any actually take in mature candidates. (Correct me if I'm wrong!) Your LC is the only way to go as an undergraduate, that combined with the HPAT. I sat the HPAT (€160, or so, incl prep test paper) more for the experience than anything and discovered after, that all the LC students had 2 days of prep work in school before sitting it, while muggins here only had the prep test to go over, my test centre here in Galway had at least a thousand kids over two days and there were 13 (or so) test centres around Ireland, so the competition is mighty!!

So at 29 I've started my undergraduate degree in Arts. The FETAC awards came in handy in the end! In 3 years hopefully I'll have a 2.1 and I'll apply for the GAMSAT (€300) and hopefully go the route of Grad entry.

Hope this helps, sorry if it disappoints though.

Advertisement