Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinlans Pub Terenure

Options
  • 19-08-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, does anybocy know what they are doing to the bar? i see that the builders are in and that the building is up for short term lease?

Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Nedermeyer

Builders eh ?The last time I passed it was all boarded up. I used to always think it'd be a great spot to have a RAVE. Just for one night like, BYOB affair.

I used to work for another pub in the Quinlan group, and there was always talk that it wasn't doing that well. ( this was 2004 ) .Think they had been trying to sell it for ages, and as far as I know , there was talk of it being converted into apartments of some sort (surprise, surprise ) .

Did you spot any site notices displayed re : planning. etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

they're turning it into a eurospar!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Hey anyone have any updates on this?

Walked past it for the first time in ages a few nights ago and it's looking really good. Was thinking apartments but it seems to have large fire doors (like the ones you see in pubs) these might be just up on a temp basis though to stop people from breaking in!! Looked around like an old biddy for a notice of some kind but there was none around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Anyone know whats happening with this? There doesnt seem to be any planning application for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Planning permission notice up now for a Tesco (presumably express) outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tesco have done a deal with the Pub owners where by they can apply for permission for a small tesco store with offices above, while not in ownership, but testing the waters in regards to development potential.

If planning is granted then the runour is that Tesco will do a deal t buy the site, if not then the current owners are stuck with it.

Terenure has gone from having no supermarket to possibly Lidl, Aldi and Tesco. Will there be demand for all of them or will the local shops just close down?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

This has just been granted (Tesco Express on Quinlan's site). Nothing on Lidl or Aldi yet.

Kceire, how do you know this was a 'speculative' bid for PP for want of a better word? Interesting.

Delighted something will be done with the site though, it is an eyesore. After the big clean up last year (which must have cost a fortune) the graffiti morons have it destroyed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Word on the mean streets is that Aldi's going into Falks Lighting and Lidl where the Sunday World was. Can't see it happening to be honest, it'll kill local business I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Word on the mean streets is that Aldi's going into Falks Lighting and Lidl where the Sunday World was. Can't see it happening to be honest, it'll kill local business I imagine.

business is suffering already because of its proximity to ratmines and rathgar. kieron who runs siopa beag is barely keeping his head above water.
    as for lidl/aldi. the snobs in the only snobby parts of terenure (rathfarnham road end) will object but you will find them shopping in lidl/aldi in walkinstown and rathmines

• Advertisement

PP for Lidl was already approved. Think Aldi was too.

irishguy wrote: »
    PP for Lidl was already approved. Think Aldi was too.

they have been

Holey Moley! As what was said before, from no supermarkets to three?!? Although, I think the Tesco Expresses are pretty rubbish. Contrary to what I said earlier, I don't think it'll have that much of a negative effect on local business. Centra will feel it alright, but the people who shop in Centra are just doing quick, small shops so I reckon those customers will remain. The Off Licences perhaps? Cork's Off Licence will no doubt take a hit, hopefully no though, love that Offie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

business is suffering already because of its proximity to ratmines and rathgar. kieron who runs siopa beag is barely keeping his head above water.
    as for lidl/aldi. the snobs in the only snobby parts of terenure (rathfarnham road end) will object but you will find them shopping in lidl/aldi in walkinstown and rathmines

There are valid reasons for objections as well as snobbish ones. The Aldi will affect St Joseph's school and church. Parking, traffic, kids going to school via the lane from Rathfarnham road, etc. Traffic coming into the village is bad enough already - e.g. Templeogue Road.

I imagine that gobsh1te who owns the car park is licking his lips though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Not sure if I'll use the new Tesco unless I fancy a stroll and am only picking up something small. Will stick with Rathfarnham tesco.

Are you talking about the small car park at the back of Falks?

Does anyone know what is going in next to O'Tooles butchers?

3 supermarkets, that's so nuts. I don't drive through Terenure much but I hope it doesn't increase traffic which is some of the worst going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Whyner wrote: »
    Are you talking about the small car park at the back of Falks?

No, the car park on Terenure Road North between Mick Dowling's and the music shop. It used to be publicly owned but then that guy who previously claimed to own Dartmouth Square somehow got his hands on it.

Bruce7 wrote: »
    No, the car park on Terenure Road North between Mick Dowling's and the music shop. It used to be publicly owned but then that guy who previously claimed to own Dartmouth Square somehow got his hands on it.

he is trying to claim some houses in the area too, especially around whitton/alexandra. im not going to say anymore

Bruce7 wrote: »

a swift ''fcuk off' usually works if he ever approaches you looking for his 'deeds'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

he is trying to claim some houses in the area too, especially around whitton/alexandra. im not going to say anymore

Pray tell PM of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Is that the Siopa Beag that burned down yesterday?

• Advertisement

Clanket wrote: »
    Is that the Siopa Beag that burned down yesterday?

Unfortunately yes.

Advertisement