Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Leyland 3.8 D "Tempest"

Options
  • 19-08-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I recently purchased a boat on the shannon, it has an inboard diesel engine that i couldnt get identified, on the Bowman heat exchanger there was a number stamped in, on a long shot i tried Bowman to see if they could tell me what engine that heat exchanger was fitted to, they tell me it was a British Leyland 3.8 D, also known as the "Tempest". Anyone give me any more information on this engine ??

Billy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 blarneyone

been playing with the idea of doing this for a while. Billy, any pics? Where do you have it moored?

My wife is from Killaloe, so I 've been looking around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

She's moored on the Erne system at Belturbot. Seems like a beefy engine but have no idea what its capable of as the previous owner had died and the family didnt know too much about the engine. Looking to find out HP and the like as the 2 previous surveys on the boat both came back as BMC 2.5 and BMC 3.5, one saying 70 BHP the other 98 BHP.

Anyone help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

From what I know:

Nuffield tractors of the late 1960s were fitted with a BMC 3.8 litre engine and i have been told that they were a popular fitment in boats too. The same engine was also used in JCB diggers of the time until the Nuffield name was replaced by Leyland in the early 1970s and the Leyland 4/98 engine was used instead.
    The BMC unit was around 60 hp in tractor applications , probably a bit more for a marine application.

I think that the BMC diesel engines remained in production in Turkey when manufacture ceased in the UK..
    I think Tempest was just the name on the marine version, or maybe the company who did the marinising of the engine (Like the way a mermaid marine engine is a Ford). Industrial versions for generators etc were often sold under the Newage brand.

Ask over on boatdiesel.com they should have all the info

Advertisement