Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutering a Stray Cat

Options
  • 19-08-2009 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all,

Quick Question....

I have two cats of my own, house cats... neutered etc!! They are about 8 years old now and very set in their ways etc.

I also have a stray cat that pops into the garden every evening for some food and a bit of company Id say. He might only stay 1 hour at most, and then he's off on his travels again.

My problem is that "Sooty" the stray and my two house cats are constantly fighting, Ive had both of my cats to the vet a few times with bad scraps and bites etc.

Im thinking about getting Sooty neutered and am wondering if this might take the aggression out of him a bit.

He will always be a outdoor cat, but it would be nice if all three cats could get along together when he visits...

Any advice?

Thank you

CT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Are you sure he is a atray and not just someones cat who is on outdoor cat. I was brought up in the country and had many cats who never came inside, but were still tame enough to be stroked. they would ofeten go wandering to neighbours farms who would feed them also but would only stay an hour or so.
    I'm not sure if I would have liked these neighbours to capture my cat and spay them!
    Before I get any righteous post about the immortality of not spaying my outdoor cats, I was a kid and things were done differently in the country(and still are)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

Well if Sooty is the aggressor then it would do no harm to have him neutered, plus it would be better for him in the long run. Just neutered a feral in my area there last week for the first time. Borrowed the trap from Limerick Animal Welfare who were brilliant in helping me answer loads of questions etc and had her trapped,neutered and released in just over 24 hrs! There may be a welfare group near you who could lend you a trap.
    Word of advice shop around for neutering costs. My local vet was charging me €160!!! Another vet told me to go to LSPCA, pay €30 for a voucher,give him the voucher and he neutered her for nothing!!! Big difference!
    Good luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

Hi all,

Jinxi.... Sooty is definitely a stray cat... he arrived at my door completely wild, and used to sneak in to my cats bowls for some grub. I did start to feed him then at the bottom of my garden but kept him wild, no petting, interaction etc

But them my mum spotted him and started petting him!

I live in a small estate, and I know he definitely doesnt belong to anyone here. The next estate is a good bit away. So I am 100% sure he doesnt have a home already!

Im in Sligo and I rang the SSPCA, left a message and am waiting on them to get back to me. I also rang my local vet, and they have traps etc and Im down on the waiting list for same.

As soon as the SSPCA come back to me, I'll know better re prices etc!!

I know its a bit off topic...... but could anyone suggest any other ways of settling tensions between my two indoor cats and Sooty?

Thanks again

CT

Advertisement