Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea Rubbish (and not the furniture!)

Options
  • 19-08-2009 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I received a large book in my hallway this morning. It was an Ikea furniture catalog. Now, I'm well used to receiving rubbish flyers but this thing is on a different level. Its actually a book, 2/3 the size of an A4 and weights about half a kg.

There are a number of things that annoy me about this.
    1) Its absolutely the worst type of spamming because it will cost me money to get rid of it. It takes up space in my bin and its weight is very heavy.

2) It real high gloss print, the paper that does not break down easy. The environmental impact of this rubbish must be huge!

3) I live in limerick, does this mean they are rubbish the whole country with this junk, just because they opened one store someplace up in Dublin!!

The easy thing would just be to throw it in the bin along with the Dunnes, homebase, dominos flyers but I really think this is getting ridiculous!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm just curious ... why are you posting here about it? Why not just write to Ikea and voice your issues to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

0129631 wrote: »
    I received...an Ikea furniture catalog. It takes up space in my bed

Why are you sleeping with your Ikea catalogue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 0129631

Because I wanted to discuss it first!

steo87 - good spot! Bed is now bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Coversely, i was quite pleased to receive the catalogue :)
    Does the OP complain about Golden Pages and the phone book?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Post it to me and I will be in the good books with herself, was only up there last week and no sign of catalogues in store...

MC :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Will you post it to me if I give you my address and you pay postage costs ;)

I don't have one and I'd like one,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Feck ya Cabaal... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

steo87 wrote: »
    Why are you sleeping with your Ikea catalogue?

Because it's as close as he'll get to having a Swede in his bed.

Where's my IKEA catalogue?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I know the OP is getting some stick for this but he does have a point! IKEA are apparently happy with number of visitors but not the amount being spent as it's reducing their profit.

These kind of mass catalogue dumpings cost money, lots of money.
    Also the Golden pages and phone book are not printed on glossy paper so are less toxic to the environment.

0129631, phone Ikea and complain about it...they may send you some free vouchers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Coversely, i was quite pleased to receive the catalogue :)
    Does the OP complain about Golden Pages and the phone book?

I actually seen the guy coming up the garden with the golden pages and eircom phone book and told him I didnt want them. Did get my Ikea catalogue though and did flick through it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

r3nu4l wrote: »
    phone Ikea and complain about it...they may send you some free vouchers :pac:

and another catalog so you can pick what you want to use the voucher on ;)

Nah seriously, I don't get spamming the WHOLE country with them, I can kind of understand spamming Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Paulw wrote: »
    I'm just curious ... why are you posting here about it? Why not just write to Ikea and voice your issues to them.
    Well its a fairly generic issue, could have been any catalogue. I am interested in the laws on these things. As he said it can cost him money to get rid of it. Am I legally permitted to post anything I want in my neighbours letterbox? I'll be around with my rubbish to dump tonight if I can.

I expect he posted here to see if people had advice on how to stop it reoccurring, and not just with Ikea in mind.

A lad in the US had a smart idea, signed up for loads of junk and used it to fuel his burner out the back, poor postman breaking his back everyday delivering all his "fuel". Free heating, beat that bord gais.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It takes up space in my bin and its weight is very heavy.

2) It real high gloss print, the paper that does not break down easy. The environmental impact of this rubbish must be huge!

It's paper, so it shouldn't be dumped in the bin, it should be recycled. The type of gloss on the paper doesn't matter then. It als shouldn't cost you anything as recycling is not pay by weight, they are collected separately and not weighed.

It's one book, and probably takes up less space, and weighs less, than the daily deluge of Centra/Spar/clothes collection leaflets that you get.

jor el wrote: »
    It als shouldn't cost you anything as recycling is not pay by weight, they are collected separately and not weighed.
    Is this now the case all over the country? Even in dublin can I get a free green bin without paying a single penny.

i.e. I thought if I cancelled my county council bin service then my "free" bin also was done away with. Then if I PAID panda I would get a "free" bin. But are there operators who offering truly free bin in every area?
    It's one book, and probably takes up less space, and weighs less, than the daily deluge of Centra/Spar/clothes collection leaflets that you get.
    So that is over a 0.5kg per day, by the OP's estimates or rather your estimates (I get far less). I am not sure how often my bin is collected, but I often have to compact it myself with my own waste, I do not want other peoples rubbish too.

OP- I have heard of people putting signs up saying no junk, I wonder if these have any legal bearing, i.e. could you report/prosecute people for dumping rubbish in your door?

I would rather not have to resort to an unsightly sign on my front door, what next "please do not let your dog sh!t in my front garden either"

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

rubadub wrote: »
    I have heard of people putting signs up saying no junk, I wonder if these have any legal bearing, i.e. could you report/prosecute people for dumping rubbish in your door?

I've recently put up a sign saying "No junk mail, offenders will be prosecuted", now the prosecution bit I have no idea if I could enforce it but it's worked. My junk mail is now down to one piece a week. The one piece a week I do get I post back to the offending shop with no stamp.

Now if you really want to talk junk mail lets talk about UPC junk mail that they post to you, that gets right up my nose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Cabaal wrote: »
    and another catalog so you can pick what you want to use the voucher on ;)

Nah seriously, I don't get spamming the WHOLE country with them, I can kind of understand spamming Dublin.

would surely make sense the other way around. Dubs are more likely to pop over for a wander around where as people from outside the pale would be less inclined to do so unless they see a few bargains or things that tickle their fancy.

They are prob doing it on the assumption that people drove to Ikea in Belfast so why not up to Dublin.

Is this now the case all over the country? Even in dublin can I get a free green bin without paying a single penny.

No, the recycling is only collected for free once you're paying for waste collection. The OP mentioned that he has to throw this in his bin, which increases the weight, which costs him more money, so he should be able to recycle it for free.
    So that is over a 0.5kg per day, by the OP's estimates or rather your estimates (I get far less).

No, the catalog is a one off, the daily deluge is, well daily, and by the time he gets another catalog of any kind, the individual leaflets, which he has no problem with, would outweigh the catalogs.

For me, between newspapers, property papers and shop leaflets, there could be anything from 5 to 50 pages, per day. It goes in the recycling bin, and doesn't cost me anything (more) to get rid of.

If I had the time, I'd like to store all the junk, for one month, and see just how much there is. I could then bring it all back to one of the businesses that spammed me, and see how they like it. Then pick a different business the next month, and so on.

It's paper, so it shouldn't be dumped in the bin, it should be recycled. The type of gloss on the paper doesn't matter then. It als shouldn't cost you anything as recycling is not pay by weight, they are collected separately and not weighed.

No, the recycling is only collected for free once you're paying for waste collection. The OP mentioned that he has to throw this in his bin, which increases the weight, which costs him more money, so he should be able to recycle it for free.
    I am a firm believer very few things are free. If you have to hand over money then it is not free, end of story in my mind. I do not fall for that marketing bullsh!t and I often call salesmen on this too, get them to breakdown and admit the REAL charges. Just like free delivery from play is a misnomer, there are no volunteer postmen, and no volunteer delivery drivers for "free pizza delivery". And in this case there is no free recycling, unless somebody can find a place that will collect bins with NO payment changing hands. It is a real pet hate of mine. The cost is added to your overall charges. If this trend of junk mail continues to grow & grow then the "basic charge", which includes the "free" recycling, will no doubt increase. Yet it will be slickly masked and people will still fall for this utter bullsh!t of "free" services.

In the grand scheme of things it does "cost" the environment too, which is a real issue, it seems the IKEA catalogue is the straw breaking the camels/OP's back.
    No, the catalog is a one off, the daily deluge is, well daily, and by the time he gets another catalog of any kind, the individual leaflets, which he has no problem with, would outweigh the catalogs.
    Right, I had read this..
    as meaning the "daily deluge" was more than this book, each day, which did seem OTT.

I am a firm believer very few things are free.

True, the recycling is not free, as you do pay for the bins, but they don't charge any more, whereas they do charge for the weight of the wet-waste bin. In Limerick, Mr Binman does limit each household to 2 recycle bags per week though.
    as meaning the "daily deluge" was more than this book, each day, which did seem OTT.

Some days, it's quite a lot. Not quite phone book or catalog amounts, but a lot none the less. I don't even look at them now, everything goes to the bin. Might give one of the local newspapers a scan through, but the rest is just crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

I have a very large 'NO JUNK MAIL' sign on my letterbox. Had it there 4 weeks and yesterday Ikea were the first to ignore it with their giant catalouge.Well, rahter, the person hulking all those giant Ikea catalouges around was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 0129631

Thanks for all the responses, its good to know I'm not alone in my annoyance at this spamming rubbish!! And while i'm well used to getting stuff in the letterbox, it was the size of the ikea catalog which really got me!

As for the recycling, i'll dispose of the 'book' appropriately!! (I'm sure Ikea appreciate me cleaning up after them!!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I would write a letter to the Dept of The Environment, let them know about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fashionista911

I was there last week and it is the best ever, it is really worth the drive from limerick, I would so love to get an ikea book. Just recycle it somewhere. seriously its worth the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Thanks for all the responses, its good to know I'm not alone in my annoyance at this spamming rubbish!! And while i'm well used to getting stuff in the letterbox, it was the size of the ikea catalog which really got me!

As for the recycling, i'll dispose of the 'book' appropriately!! (I'm sure Ikea appreciate me cleaning up after them!!!!)

You could sell it on Ebay and furnish your house with Ikea stuff with the proceeds.

Advertisement